General discussion

Using Fax with Comcast Triple Play

I want to send a fax using an HP all-in-one machine. I was thinking of just plugging it directly into the wall as if it's just another phone. My concern is that I want to make sure I don't damage the expensive voice modem that I rent from Comcast. I think it costs something like $600 to replace. I also use a cable modem from Comcast. So can I just plug the fax into a phone port on the wall and try it?

I'm also curious as to how Comcast's expensive voice modem works. Does it just convert outgoing phone calls from analog signals on the copper lines to digital signals traveling out of the house on the coaxial line? So it would treat an outgoing fax in the same manner?
Thank you

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Using Fax with Comcast Triple Play
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Using Fax with Comcast Triple Play
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
My MTA was 75 bucks.

It was not 600. And there is no one that will absolutely guarantee that a device will or will not blow up the MTA.

In fact, if your existing phones could blow up the MTA, why did you plug those in.

Most of us will plug it in and be done. There is no real concern here unless we create one.
Bob

- Collapse -
ok

Thanks for the reply. The comcast installation person told me people rent instead of buy the special voice modems because they cost $600. So I don't know what to think. Are you using an MTA and a cable modem? I have 2 seperate modems in use. The MTA is in the basement and the cable modem is upstairs near my computer. My concern with the fax was that there might be something different about the technology needed to process a fax vs plugging a phone in.

- Collapse -
I fear no one

Can assuage such fears. Even though I paid 150 for my Comcast MTA, that didn't help you. The fact I plugged fax and more into my MTA may not be good enough along with how many other folk that will plug in a fax machine this year.

Sorry but I have to write your fears are unfounded yet you are right that no one will give you any guarantee that someday, somewhere a MTA will fry on connecting something to it.

My MTA was in the basement and my cable modem was up on the second floor just a few months ago. I have since moved to another city but had to buy the MTA so I know the cost.
Bob

- Collapse -
good points

Ok duly noted. I am plugging the fax into a wall phone port instead of directly into the MTA like your setup. Do you know if faxes are secure as far as if you send sensitive information via the fax? How does it compare in security to when you send data via an https connection on the internet?

- Collapse -
Pretty secure.

But there are instances where folk send a copy to the wrong phone number.

Since the print out from the fax machine is not in our control no one would say that's secure. Anyone in the office can pick it up?
Bob

- Collapse -
comcast voice

From what a comcast installer told me which you never know.... The voice channel is not carried over the internet it uses a separate connection that in effect goes from your house to the phone switch at comcast. So it should be as safe as any analog line.

Comcast is one of the few that you can even get a fax machine to work, things like vontage, magicjack and skype have big issue with fax and modems. You tend to have to run at a very very slow speed to even get them to connect.

- Collapse -
I apologize.

By discussing the issue frankly and honestly there are folk that take that as being rude. If so all I can do is apologize and hope the truth helps the next person.
Bob

- Collapse -
Let me be blunt . . .

FAX, from the term facsimile, shortened from tele-facsimile (I'll let you research the originator), used a phone line. Do you remember what a phone line is? A FAX machine still needs the phone line, as in it requires 52 VDC at about 300 mA of current and needs to detect the 440 Hz and 680 Hz of "dial tone". If it does not detect these parameters it may not work. It will not "dial out".

Tell us again why you dumped your "phone line".

CNET Forums

Forum Info