TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Using existing speakers

by ktdtx / August 23, 2005 11:41 PM PDT

I have a pair of Martin Logan stereo speakers which I like very much (but of course wife thinks they are too large). Can these be supplemented with other speakers to make up a part of a TV audio system or do I have to have separate TV and music listening systems?
Would I just add more speakers & plug them into the surround sound box? I am doing some research in advance of moving where I will have a new TV/system installed.
Thanks
Ken

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using existing speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using existing speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Using existing speakers
by jcrobso / August 24, 2005 12:43 AM PDT

I used my existing JBL speakers , got a new reciver and added JBL surrounds and center speaker.
Now you may have to shop around for speakers that have a similar sound to your Martin speakers. John

Collapse -
That will work ...
by TiVolution / August 24, 2005 4:43 AM PDT

Many people use the same system for both music and HT. The key is making sure that the "supplemental" speakers voice match well with the Martin Logans (wish I had a pair of those!)

I would recomend that you pay special attention to the center channel as that carries a majority of the sound for HT. You may want to consider a Martin Logan center. Subs, rears and sides are less of an issue and you'll find that differences in these speakers are less noticeable to you.

Good luck.

P.S. - you may want to check out some internet only retailers for speakers if you are on a budget and trying to get Martin Logon sound on a budget. Sites I suggest are:
www.av123.com
www.ascendacoutics.com
www.aperionaudio.com
www.axiomaudio.com

Collapse -
Thanks
by ktdtx / August 24, 2005 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: That will work ...

Thanks for the responses--it seemed to make sense they would work but since things are becoming fairly specialized in their function and compatibility I wasn't sure.

Ken

Collapse -
Martin Logan the best in the world
by stewart norrie / August 28, 2005 5:38 AM PDT

My Dolby digital 6.1 system is hooked up to Klipsh 5.5. main Klipsh acadmy center Atlantic technology souround and Cerwin Vega sat 6 in the rear + Infinity 15" 500 wat sub and its awsome. Salespeople will tell you that all speakers should be matched BULL , Also a good 6.1 reciever will give you the option of having great stereo and 6.1. sound good luck and dont let wifie make you get rid of your awsome speakers please reply stewart norrie cadillacstew@aol.com

Collapse -
Diaphragm response will kill you if you're not careful
by waterguy / September 30, 2005 2:46 PM PDT

I have a mixed system of Martin Logans and M&Ks which works fine but I've been careful to keep the sources un-mixed. The Martin Logans have a floating diaphragm and are much faster firing than a traditional cone which has to recoil before it can fire out again. I've got a Martin Logan center and subwoofer to keep up with the mains but used my M&Ks for the surround speakers. This kept the price down without sacrificing quality. Having the surrounds slightly out of time with the main sources isn't detectable and I've got good ears. Before I matched up the mains, you could hear the out of sync/out of phase sound of the split system. Best of all, when I go to straight music listening, the system runs on just the Martin Logans and as you know you just can't beat that pure clear soundstage they give you.

Good luck with your set-up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.