Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Using Excel Formula's

I need to write a formula that will automatically insert the correct information instead of flip flopping from one or the other. I haul farm grains and each one is a separate weight per bushel.

What I am searching for is something akin to this
Example
IF A5 is SB then C5 is divided by 60
IF A5 is CR then C5 is divided by 56
IF A5 is WH then C5 is divided by 65

My wife is my secretary and cannot grasp the fact that she has to change the formula for each grain and thereby screws up my billing. Any advice will be appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using Excel Formula's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using Excel Formula's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Using Excel Formula's

In reply to: Using Excel Formula's

I'm not a secretary and I can't either grasp the fact that I would have to do it. I'm a programmer (among other things) and I would simply write a 'nested if'.

It's not totally elementary, indeed, but well within the grasp of a grain hauler, I should say. Just pronounce it as if ... then ... else if ... then ... else if ... then .... else ... and you'll understand it.

=if(a5="SB";c5/60;if(a5="CR";c5/56;if(a5="WH";c5/65;"Unknown grain")))

Kees

Collapse -
International settings.

In reply to: Re:Using Excel Formula's

Sorry. I checked the formula before posting it, but I forgot about the semicolon (; ) and comma (,). If you've got a decimal point (.), then the parameter separator in formulas is a comma, not a semicolon.

Minor point, but very annoying to get a "error in formula" error when it's supposed to be working.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:International settings.

In reply to: International settings.

the parameter seperator in [all] functions is [always] a comma

Collapse -
O, no.

In reply to: Re:International settings.

Jetrhro,

If you've got a decimal comma, the separator is a semicolon. You can't have the same symbol as a decimal comma and a separator, because Excel can't interpret the formulas otherwise. Just try it.

With me:
sum(2,2)=2,2 (decimal comma)
sum(2;2)=4 (separator)
sum(2.2)=invalid

With you (presumably)
sum(2.2)=2.2 (decimal point)
sum(2,2)=4 (separator)
sum(2;2)=invalid

Kees

Collapse -
Re:O, no.

In reply to: O, no.

que?

what's a "decimal comma"?

alllll function parameters use comma seperators:

syntax:

FUNCTION(1stpara, 2nd para, #th para)

Collapse -
Decimal comma.

In reply to: Re:O, no.

Jethro,

In some countries (like the USA) 2? is denoted as 2.5, and, 1000 added, as 1,002.5
In other countries (like most countries in Western Europe) 2? is denoted as 2,5 and, 1000 added, as 1.002,5

In 2.5 there's a decimal point, so in 2,5 there's a decimal comma. If the comma is a decimal separator, the semicolon is used a parameter separator. It's really easy, in fact.

It's like dates: 9/11 is 'September, 11' in USA, 9-11 is '9 November' here.

Microsoft is no fool, so Control Panel>International lets you choose what to use for decimal and thousand separator and date format. Decimal points are easily understood here in Holland; however, a comma as a thousand separator and mm/dd format are really strange, never used and very counter-intuitive.

I posted my Dutch formula, which would give errors for a US user. So I corrected it in the post you commented on.

Hope this explains it.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.