PC Applications forum

General discussion

Using Easy Cleaner to cleanup The registery

by rleeq / March 5, 2009 1:16 AM PST

This is kind of a corkscrew question.
I just downloaded Easy Cleaner on my new computer. (Pavilion quad core 2.20gh with Vista Home Premium) I've used EC before on another computer with some success. I'm running the reg cleaner for the first time on the new one and it's been running for over an hour so I'm thinking it is finding many many many errors in the registry.
While I know a little about registry values I'm wondering... There are probably going to be allot of values I don't want to mess with. So how can I know exactly which values are alright to get rid of or whether a value should be left alone.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using Easy Cleaner to cleanup The registery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using Easy Cleaner to cleanup The registery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's tackled this the other way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 1:24 AM PST

-> What's busted that has you running a registry cleaner?

Collapse -
I'm willing
by rleeq / March 5, 2009 2:29 AM PST

It's not that anything is really busted it's that the system has slowed way down. I bought the new system about 3 months ago and it ran like a cheetah when I first set it up. Now it couldn't keep up with a one legged man. I do allot of online work and I figured the registry probably got clogged up so I decided to clean out all of the invalid entries.

R'

Collapse -
Who decides its an invalid entry?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: I'm willing

I took a look at some of those and found a fresh install of Windows 2000, XP and Vista then a pass of those registry cleaners would always claim the registry had invalid entries.

I picked the first one off their report and it was not truly invalid. It was just a file type that was defined in the registry but no application was installed to handle it (yet.)

So time and time again we find we can pick over their results and find no glaring broken entry.

-> Back to your slow machine. Sure, go right ahead but will you be able to undo it all if it doesn't fix it?
Bob

Collapse -
Maybe I'm being slow but I'm not sure that I understand
by rleeq / March 5, 2009 3:46 AM PST

I assume that you are referring to scans of your own registry where you found the fresh installs for 2000, XP and so on. So this brings me to the question about what you mean "no application installed "YET"
How or why would there be an entry in the registry for an application which is not installed on the machine? I was under the impression that the registry logs entries for applications as they are installed but those entries aren't necessarily removed when an app is uninstalled.
As for being able to undo any thing done to the registry, EC has an in the options tab the ability to create an undo for the registry cleaning and allows for up to 99 undo files.
Like I said. maybe I'm dense so forgive me if I don't quite follow your logic.

R'

Collapse -
"How or why would there be an entry in the registry for an
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 4:00 AM PST

"How or why would there be an entry in the registry for an application which is not installed on the machine?" (after a clean install of Windows)

That's no error. Microsoft put those there to pave the way for other titles to use.

Those cleaners have another agenda and will call what could be a superfluous or optional value that Windows will work with or with an "error." They exaggerate.

But go ahead. Just be sure you can go back.
Bob

Collapse -
This still leaves the question begging
by rleeq / March 5, 2009 4:30 AM PST

Well...OK Microsoft in all their wisdom puts stuff into the registry just on the off chance other programs are installed. The question remains; How will I know the difference between those entries which Microsoft placed and the others.
If I delete all of the errors reported by EC and this screws up the machine, I just undo it. All well and good. Problem is by undoing it I am still left with errors in the registry which are not related to MS.

Collapse -
Just a note.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 4:52 AM PST

If you allow that cleaner to delete all listed entries, you are not going to be able to test it until the next bootup. The problem there is, if the registry is so damaged that it cannot boot up, how do you undo the changes?

I don't know Vista, I am still using XP, but XP uses a much more stable registry than previous versions of Windows. The registry doesn't fall over nearly as much than previous versions. I would assume that Vista is even more robust. The registry is just a database, and does not need cleaning or defragmenting. If there are any entires in the database that are irrelevant, they are just ignored.

Your system slowing down will not be because of the registry. What you need to be looking at are;

* Startup programs, how many do you have and are they slowing startup?

* RAM. Do you have sufficient RAM to run everything you are running at the same time?

* Viruses, spyware,trojans and worms. What do you use to protect this system.

* Processes? Do you have too many processes running in the background?

* Services. Are any unwanted services running?

Start with those, and see if there are any improvements when you have done a bit of house-cleaning.

Mark

Collapse -
Slow down not caused by the registry???
by rleeq / March 5, 2009 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: Just a note.

First I'd like to thank both of those folk who have contributed to this post. learning about the registry can only enhance the basic understanding of how to keep our little machines healthy.
Once more into the brink;;;
Granted those issues mentioned by Mark could be at fault for the slow down.
Startup's around 7 or 8...might be as many as 10 but not more.
RAM 5 Gigs
Viruses Ran Norton last night found nada
Processes 29 (My other machine runs 68)
Services...well quite a few, maybe 100 Didn't take the time to count them all.
I realize that the services may be contributing to the over all slow down but...This is a new machine (Not Reconditioned) It's running a quad core processor. It shouldn't be slowing down this much.
On the other hand, Many reputable sources say that having errors in the registry in the form of shortcuts leading nowhere, install links which have no relevant programs, and all sorts of other errors will be and are a leading source of computer slow down.

On a secondary note; perhaps someone would like to comment on the fact that EC has been running a check of the registry for over 5 hours now with no end in sight.

Collapse -
So you are using Vista?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 7:10 PM PST

If so I will probably have to pass, as I know little about it.

However my final contributions, (probably), note;

1] Startups, around 7 or 8, might be 10. It only needs one to slow down startup, if that is also an issue.

2] Services. I have no idea with this being Vista, but 100 seems excessive. BlackViper's guide may help;
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

3] Nortons, What Nortons application do you have? Some suites will 'do everything', and in the process slow processing down. As an example, you say EC has been running for 5 hours, (even more now?); is Norton interrupting and checking everything it does? Since the registry is the heart of the OS, anything that attempts to access and/or change the registry may be being flagged by Nortons for double checking.

4] Reputable sources. Your choice here, but all I will say is, I have never used any of the those commercially available, "Fix All" registry cleaners available for XP, and my own (5 year old) system still boots up in around a minute, and has no performance issues. But then, I choose not to mess with the registry directly and I allow my anti-malware utilities to protect it, and run CCleaner to clean out temp files and occasionally run its registry cleaner. I last ran its registry cleaner 4 months ago.

5] On a new machine, relatively new and unused OS, performance issues do not point to the registry.

Mark

Collapse -
Then what error is that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 5:42 AM PST

Any decent registry cleaner will tell us what it is going to do.

Or is this a "trust me!" issue?
Bob

Collapse -
You're Quite Correct Bob
by rleeq / March 6, 2009 12:54 AM PST

In my last post, I mentioned that the cleaner had been running for around 5 hours. Well I went to bed around midnight leaving the cleaner running. I woke up around 4:30 and found the cleaner still running. I stopped it and saved the report. There were 6540 some errors being reported.
So Bob; no, it's not so much a trust issue (even though I don't know you from Jim Dandy) but it is an issue of being able to determine which reported registry errors are valid and which are not. You will have to agree that 6500 errors is an extraordinarily large number of errors. It is a daunting task to slog through them all in order to decide which are valid errors and which are not.
Interestingly, the cleaner seems to have gotten stuck working it's way through a certain part of the registry. Here is an example of what I mean.

HKey_Local_Machine Software\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SymSetup.{C1C185CA-C531-49F5-A6FA-B838405A049D} 8/28/2008 6:55:45 AM InstallSource c:\hp\tmp\src

The great majority of those reported errors are from this part of the registry. Note that the part of the string above (In parenthesis) is different for each reported error. The fact is that 95% (over 6000) of the reported errors are from the same part of the registry. After going through the results of a scan which ran for in excess of 10 hours, I shut the cleaner down last night with out allowing it to fix any of the errors it reported. I came to no conclusions about the scan and look to what help I could find concerning these issues.

You're right a good registry cleaner tells us what it is going to do. Unfortunately cleaners that I've used in the past offer two or maybe three options. Fix, Ignore, Delete. EC doesn't say what the error is about a value as far as I've been able to ascertain.

Collapse -
I like that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2009 1:01 AM PST

"c:\hp\tmp\src"

This gives us great insight into what it thinks is an error.

-> Let me reveal I am currently writing a .NET application and part of why we moved to .NET was that we would have less entries in the registry (surprising some that want to talk about such things.)

Ok, that path is likely no longer used AFTER hp was done with some install or such.

-> HOWEVER is that an error that would cause slow booing?

My answer is no. While one could dismiss, delete these entries based on some idea that its no longer needed the way the registry works TODAY (not running Windows 98 here!!!) a large registry is not a speed liability. It's nice to keep it tidy but that's not a speed loss item (unless we go back to Windows 95, 98, ME days.)

These forums are full of people that have trashed their machines with registry cleaners so feel free to try it.

MY POINT HERE is be sure you can undo what you do.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?