Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Using dialup to access an ethernet (Windows XP)

by robert285 / March 29, 2008 6:41 AM PDT

Hello,

I have two computers, a host and a client. Both are running Windows XP Pro. The host is not connected to the Internet or a network, but simply has it's NIC connected to a webcam via a crossover cable. This is the first "network." The host also has a modem which is setup to accept incoming calls (PPP) to allow access to the host. This is the second network, when there is a connected incoming phone call.

The client (the computer dialing into the host) is not connected to the Internet. The client connects to the host via its modem (28.8).

Essentially, the host is in an isolated area where no Internet access is available. I want to dial into this computer and access the webcam to "keep an eye on things."

I can dial into the host just fine, and access Remote Desktop. I can view the webcam on the remote desktop, but its very slow as you can imagine. I cannot go to my command prompt on the client computer and ping the webcam, or access it with the viewer application.

It appears that the webcam and my dialup computer are on two different networks. The host can see both networks, but the current configuration will not enable the dialup computer / client to access the webcam. This is my problem. If I can connect the client directly to the webcam via IP, the image downloads will be much more efficient because I won't have to use Remote Desktop.

I ran ipconfig on both the host and the client during the dialup session.

Here is the host:
PPP adapter RAS Server (Dial In) Interface:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: (this is NIC connected to the webcam via crossover cable)
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.0

Here is the dialup client ipconfig:
PPP adapter skynet:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3

The IP address of the webcam is 192.168.1.115 and its subnet is 255.255.255.0. I can access this IP address only from the host, not the dialup client.

I am hoping there is a simple answer to this. I'm a certified Netware Administrator, which means I know a little bit about Netware file systems but thats about it.

The reason I'm using a dial-in method is that the host computer is in a remote location in the mid-west U.S. where broadband is not available. Also, the webcam does not have a usb interface, only ethernet.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Robert

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using dialup to access an ethernet (Windows XP)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using dialup to access an ethernet (Windows XP)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 29, 2008 7:44 AM PDT

the problem is not networking but dial-up speed. The higher the resolution on the camera equates to larger files (pictures and frame rate), which will be much slower uploading from the camera. You might try lowering the camera resolution to bare minimum.

I'm on 10 Meg cable and a friend is on the same. When we use our cams the voice is perfect but the pictures are very slow. I can just imagine what it would be like on dial-up speeds.

Just a thought.

Collapse -
Addendum. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 29, 2008 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: I think. . .

You say the dial-up speed is 28.8? That's standard "download" speed. Upload speed from the camera will be a fraction of that.

Collapse -
image size
by robert285 / March 29, 2008 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Addendum. . .

Guys, my plan is to set the camera to the absolute lowest setting. In the range of 10,000 bytes per photo or less if possible. Remote Desktop actually works reasonably well with the resolution and colors turned down. I havent had a chance to try the camera, yet. Once I get this networking problem solved. Any ideas on that? Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.