Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Using Dban for the first time

by cdygrubbs / July 9, 2012 5:08 AM PDT

Hey everyone,
I'm using dban for the first time and I'm kind of scared to use it. I am about to burn the iso to the disc and pop it in. I've read some on their website and it seems pretty simple to use. From what I've gathered you just boot from the disc and it asks you what you want to wipe. Is that it? Basically, what I'm asking is- Is it this simple? Does anyone have any tips for using it? Also is it really that important that you wipe the hard drive? I'm going to be recycling the drives that are being dbanned.

Burning the disc in my laptop and then going to use dban on an old windows 98se system to clear two hard drives.

cdygrubbs has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using Dban for the first time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using Dban for the first time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by cdygrubbs

Collapse -
Just a comment seeing ...
by Edward ODaniel / July 10, 2012 6:53 AM PDT

that Bob has narrowed your immediate problem down to a probable lack of sufficient RAM.

In your original post you state - "Also is it really that important that you wipe the hard drive? I'm going to be recycling the drives that are being dbanned."

If you are retaining the drives for your own use there relly is no need for using Killdisk or Dban. All you need to do is wipe the existing partitions (can be done using a Win 9x boot diskette that has FDISK and FORMAT on it) then creating new partitions and formatting the disks.

If you intend for others to end up with the drives and if the drives contained files of a sensitive nature such as financial records or medical records or such, you could make use of CMRR Secure Erase http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml which is freeware and designed to run from DOS so the RAM you have is sufficient. Read the README file available at the offered link.

Collapse -
Thanks for the comment,
by cdygrubbs / July 12, 2012 5:31 AM PDT

I'll remember that CMRR app for future use. I was able to use dban on a laptop (running windows xp) with the drives attached via usb with an external enclosure. Seemed to work and the old win 98 system was taken to Best buy for recycling.

Collapse -
I do have one last question
by cdygrubbs / July 12, 2012 6:26 AM PDT

I am about to dban another drive that I formatted years ago. It should be empty with no files but if I right click and select properties it says something like 66 mb is used. What is this from and should I be concerned? I don't see any files but then why is space being used?

Collapse -
That's proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2012 6:30 AM PDT

A file system, even when empty will use quite a few bytes.

Collapse -
Answer
Tip?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 5:47 AM PDT

My tip is to NEVER boot dban on a machine that has drives attached that you must save the contents. I think a few try to avoid that simple step and have erased drives they didn't mean to.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob,
by cdygrubbs / July 9, 2012 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Tip?

Yes, I've read some stories about people doing that and freaking out afterwards. Definitely will be more cautious than that.

Collapse -
Nothing happens
by cdygrubbs / July 10, 2012 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Tip?

I just burned the disc (cd-r using cdburnerxp). After I put the disc in and turn on the computer it tries to read the disc but then seems to give up and then tries to read floppy and then hard drive. Then Windows boots up. I also tried it using a cd-rw and infrarecorder. The same thing happens. I put the cd-r back into my laptop and it sees the files in windows explorer. I don't think it is the cd drive because I used it earlier to load puppy linux. Is the machine just too old to work?

Collapse -
Some put the .ISO on the CD and yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2012 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Nothing happens

It won't do a thing. Creating a bootable CD takes a different click of the buttons but lets' share the CDBURNERXP Tutorial on using an .ISO file. Link follows.

http://cdburnerxp.se/help/data/burn-iso

Collapse -
Part of the problem..
by cdygrubbs / July 10, 2012 3:19 AM PDT

is that I don't know what burn method to use. The tutorial says to use disc at once but it's different in the latest version of cdburnerxp. Do I use disc at once p-w dao96 or p+q pao16. I have been running it on "choose automatically". Maybe thats my problem. Any idea on which one to use?

Collapse -
Also,
by cdygrubbs / July 10, 2012 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Part of the problem..

I also tried to use killdisk. I don't know as much about it but I tried to burn it and after booting it the only thing on the screen is FreeDOS.

Collapse -
If the tutorial is not helping, try ISOBURNER.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2012 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Part of the problem..

There are old machines that can't boot from CD anymore. Things to try?

1. Burn at 2X speed.
2. Use your CD/DVD lens cleaner.
3. Use the USB memory stick boot methods.
4. Go get ISOBURNER. It knows how to deal with ISO files and there is no need to check any box or change any setting except if the machine is old and we need to try the 2X record speed.

Collapse -
Found part of the problem
by cdygrubbs / July 10, 2012 3:51 AM PDT

Looks like my original Cd-r did work! I decided to put it in my laptop just to see if it would boot and it did. For some reason the old desktop just didn't want to read these discs. I even swapped out the cd drive to a newer one and it still didn't do anything. Why it would read puppy and ubuntu linux and not dban and killdisk, I have no idea. Guess I will put these old drives into an external enclosure and then use dban on the old laptop (that I am also recycling). Thanks for all of the input Bob.

Collapse -
Why not just install Puppy?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2012 4:09 AM PDT

Too bad I can't find what PC this is. I have tricks such as unplugging USB things, disable things in the BIOS and more but I don't have the make, model to work with.
Bob

Collapse -
It is
by cdygrubbs / July 10, 2012 4:28 AM PDT

a Compaq Presario 5000A with windows 98se. Its over 11 years old!

Collapse -
Ahh. I wonder if that doesn't have the RAM
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2012 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: It is

Puppy is very light on RAM. DBAN might have a big memory requirement or not handle an old machine like that.

-> When I hit an old machine like that I find myself jumping in the BIOS to disable onboard sound, ethernet and sometimes USB.
Bob

Collapse -
In the BIOS
by cdygrubbs / July 10, 2012 5:34 AM PDT

There is an option to disable PCI bus mastering. The only thing you can change with onboard sound and usb is the Irq number. Not really sure what any of this is. I installed more ram a long time ago. Under system information it says there is 256mb.

Collapse -
Many of those boot CDs take more RAM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2012 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: In the BIOS
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.