Computer Help forum

General discussion

Using computer for DVR

by erinblankenship / January 9, 2007 11:36 PM PST

i need some help.
We do not have cable (my husband refuses to pay for cable) - we have a big antenna in the attic attached to an HD box that allows us to receive HD Broadcast channels. I would like to have the DVR capability you get with cable so that I can also watch my favorite shows, and my husband thinks this is possible with a computer. The computer he is looking to get is the: acer aspire ASL310 EC352M from CompUSA.

He believes that all he needs is a TV tuner to plug into a slot on this tower. Has anyone done this? If so, do you have any tips? Does this computer look like it will be capable?

Thanks,
Erin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using computer for DVR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using computer for DVR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ASL310 as a DVR
by ramarc / January 10, 2007 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: Using computer for DVR

the ASL310 will work as a DVR but is a bit lightweight for a high def DVR. high def programs consume a lot of diskspace and faster CPUs with nvidia or ati video cards handle high def playback better.

if you're only interested in recording standard def shows, the acer will do the job, but a tivo (free after rebate but with monthly fee) or a dvd recorder ($120-$200) may be easier to setup and use. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7726883&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat13900050019&id=1140391964252

Collapse -
re:
by erinblankenship / January 10, 2007 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: ASL310 as a DVR

we don't want to pay the monthly fee with a tivo.

will a dvd recorder work like a DVR in the sense that we can set it up to regularly record our favorite shows? there is a program we could load on the computer that would sync it with local broadcast and allow a computer to work in the same fashion as a tivo/dvr from the cable company.

also, what about this box makes it "lightweight" - what should we be looking for in terms of specs for a computer that can record shows in HD?

thanks!

Collapse -
sorry for the late reply
by ramarc / January 17, 2007 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: re:

a dvd recorder can work just like a dvr. they're not as 'smart' as tivo but they have no monthly fee.

when i say the acer is "lightweight", it means it doesn't have a lot of pc muscle. certainly not enough to handle high def recording and playpack. for hd recording, i suggest a dual-core cpu, at least a 160gb drive dedicated for show storage, and a video card based on an ati x1000 series or nvidia 7000 gpu. the ati and nvidia gpu have hardware features to improve display quality and assist playback.

Collapse -
What I'd do
by jackson dougless / January 10, 2007 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: Using computer for DVR

Is build something around MythTV ( http://www.mythtv.org ). Being a free/open source project, it's not as encumbered regarding features like commercial skipping.

The only real drawback to MythTV, is that it's hardware support can be a bit limited. So you might not be able to just buy any old system from CompUSA and get it to work. However, you do get what most people consider to be a far superior setup to even commercial programs of a similar nature.

Like most things electronic, if you buy cheap, you get cheap. Quality parts cost money, there's no way around it. Spending some time now, doing all the requisite leg work will save a lot of hassle down the road. Might even lead to saving money.

One thing I might suggest, is Shuttle's XPC line of systems. In particular, their new X200 model. It has a very small form factor, so it could sit just about anywhere. It has the TV tuner built in, comes with a remote, support for digital audio and 7.1 analog... And since it's a Shuttle, it's pretty much guaranteed to be of exceptional quality. It'll cost a bit more, but I figure that if you're going to spend any money on this at all, it's worth doing right the first time. Shuttle systems are also one of your best bets for MythTV support "out of the box". The biggest drawback to the X200, is that it's primary video output is DVI, there's no s-video or even composite/component ports. Adapters do exist, Apple sells one for $20 that would probably work. Otherwise, your local Radio Shack should be able to hook you up with something.

http://hq1.shuttle.com/products_page03.jsp?PLLI=78&PI=236

Another possibility to look into is Apple's Mac Mini. Not quite as small as the X200, and no integrated TV tuner, but it also has quite a bit going for it as a home theater PC.

The important thing to impress upon your husband however, is this isn't the sort of thing you can just slap together. You can't take any old PC and just put in a TV tuner card and have everything work. It takes some planning to pull off successfully, or in lieu of that, some extra money for someone to come up with a ready made solution for you like the Shuttle X200. If you try the slap and dash method, it's going to be an expensive failure.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!