Storage forum

General discussion

Using cable from CD Drive for Hard Drive

by dominican4114 / June 30, 2008 6:54 AM PDT

I was wondering, if i were to take the IDE cable from the Cd drive and use it to connect a new harddrive in my computer, would that work? Do they also use the same power pin connector?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using cable from CD Drive for Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using cable from CD Drive for Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2 types
by Willy / June 30, 2008 8:16 AM PDT

The cost of new cable isn't much so consider that.

There are two(2) types of IDE cables(I assume yours is IDE). Yes, they can both be used under the master/slave setup of cabling. HOWEVER, not for CS cabling setup. That's because it requires a 40-pin/80-conductor cable(newer type) and the older type is 40-pin/40-conductor. If you had both in hand, one can tell the difference. Usually, HDs use the newer type as std. connection now, but the CD can too. So, if you have the older type, beware. If you have the newer type, good to go. If you buy one nowadays more than likely will be the newer type. I exclude any mention of SATA cabling as you didn't offer that as a possible cable use. IDE cable are also called PATA cables.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Yes, its the IDE cable
by dominican4114 / June 30, 2008 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: 2 types

The problem is my PC is one of those small form factor ones and I want to kind of use it as a server but I do not want to use an external drive. So I would just take out the CD drive because there is no other bay for a harddrive. So what I would be doing is just connecting the IDE cable from the cd drive to the harddrive that is a PATA drive. Would that work?

Collapse -
(NT) If no optical drive...how will you load the OS ?
by VAPCMD / July 1, 2008 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, its the IDE cable
Collapse -
windows is already installed
by dominican4114 / July 1, 2008 3:27 PM PDT

i am just trying to add a new harddrive. the other harddrive already has XP installed. when i meant i wanted to use it as a server, its jus xp pro which will have my music and stuff so that the other computers in the house can get to it from one place

Collapse -
I hope this covers it
by Willy / July 3, 2008 2:54 AM PDT

If you have an older system, it typically has 2 IDE ports, which in turn supports 2 IDE devices each per port and it related cable. If you plan to use either IDE port plus its cable, be sure its similar plus whatever jumpering is involved if any as I explain CS usage. You still have to edit the bios *if needed* to help in boot-up. If you plan to use the 2nd IDE port that was using a CD drive, then yes you can use the same cabling and port. You still need to verify any jumpering on the HD itself for its use, then if requited the bios as well(AUTO set works). I take it you want to remove CD drive, install HD in its place and use it as a server system. If so, we've covered the needs well, good luck

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
thanks
by dominican4114 / July 3, 2008 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: I hope this covers it

that is exacly what I needed to know

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.