TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Using ARC turns off Pioneer receiver

I recently upgraded my system with a new TV - the Panasonic TC-P60ST60 - and a new receiver - the Pioneer VSX-1123K. I'm very happy with the performance of both, but am struggling with the ARC feature. I'd like to use the access to Netflix and other streaming services which are built-in to the Panasonic TV. To do that, and get the audio from those apps to play through my speakers, I need to use the Audio Return Channel to send audio back through the HDMI input from my receiver. This works great - my Pioneer gets the signal, switches to the TV input and all is beautiful in Home Theater land.

The problem is, for that to work I must allow the receiver to be controlled by HDMI. If I disable that, ARC no longer works. With that enabled, every time the TV turns on, it sends a power toggle signal to the receiver, which is already on, and that turns it off. Since I use a Harmony 600 remote to turn everything on, the receiver turns on, then the TV, then the receiver turns off. I hit the Help button on the remote, which turns the receiver back on.

So yes, that works, but it's more than a pain, and my family is not crazy about those steps just to watch TV, not to mention how much I may be shortening the life of my receiver by turning it on and off twice every time... Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using ARC turns off Pioneer receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using ARC turns off Pioneer receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Now you get to talk to the 2 Ps.

In reply to: Using ARC turns off Pioneer receiver

ARC is a minefield of interoperability issues but unless you call both they won't know there is an issue to resolve.

Also, right or wrong the industry is asking everyday consumers to "update the firmware." Frankly I have yet to install a toaster that needed firmware but the day is coming.
Bob

Collapse -
Agreed

In reply to: Now you get to talk to the 2 Ps.

And I've sent this to both support departments, we'll see who responds...

Collapse -
4.5-year bump. Did you ever work out a solution?

In reply to: Agreed

Yes, this thread is old, but I have the exact same issue and Google led me here. Were you ever able to resolve the issue?

Collapse -
A couple of things that work:

In reply to: 4.5-year bump. Did you ever work out a solution?

Replaying to my own post to say that my "solution" was to turn off ARC/HDMI-CEC on both the Panasonic TV (VIERA link) and the Pioneer receiver and use an optical cable to route audio from the TV to the receiver.

Another very simple solution would be to change the activity configuration on your Harmony remote by editing out the step that powers on the receiver - since the TV is already powering that up for you! Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.