TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Using an HDTV as a computer monitor

I plan on using an HDTV (30in 16:9) as both a television and computer monitor in order to save space in a very small dorm room. Has anyone tried this? For example, an Apple G4 with a DVI connection to the HDTV? Would a component video connection be sufficient to display text such as word processing? Also, will the desktop conform to the 16:9 aspect ratio?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using an HDTV as a computer monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using an HDTV as a computer monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Using an HDTV as a computer monitor

In reply to: Using an HDTV as a computer monitor

I forgot to mention, I mean a direct-view CRT HDTV

Collapse -
Be certain that the TV has computer connection...but not through a modulator.

In reply to: Re:Using an HDTV as a computer monitor

Don't have any experience in that but I would think it is possible but not absolutely certain (You know..one of these day, I am going to hookup my system to see just what it looks like). As for the 16:9 thing, I believe that depends on the video card. I have a card that has a 848 X 480 resolution setting (which is about 16:9) but the bad part is that it doesn't have such a ratio at any higher resolution though.

Why make such a big thing about full screen displays anyway? That 30" screen should still give you a pretty good size displays..I would think.

Collapse -
Re: Be certain that the TV has computer connection...but not

My ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256 does all sorts of extremely high res hdtv widescreen formats including 1920 x 1080 SPECIFICALLY which is the official 1080i resolution... I believe they do it as early as the 9200 model, but not sure... DEFINITELY on the 9600.

Collapse -
Re: Be certain that the TV has computer connection...but not

In reply to: Re: Be certain that the TV has computer connection...but not

I am running a Home Theater PC into my Hitachi 65S500 (http://www.smorty71.com/htpc). While it works great for viewing video, text isn't the best.

I am using a component out from my ATI 9600 video card. I've found that a 1776x1000i resolution gives me a 16:9 desktop without any overscan. The challenge for me was getting the desktop centered on the screen (since TVs don't have the same picture adjustment settings as a monitor). I ended up going with an app called Powerstrip that allows me to center the screen.

I'd be hesitant to use my setup to view webpages or other text-based content, though.

Collapse -
NT - What HDTV do you have?

In reply to: Re:Using an HDTV as a computer monitor

`?

Collapse -
NT - So much for your interest, huh? If you don't feel like getting a reply, don't post a question!

In reply to: NT - What HDTV do you have?

`?

Collapse -
Re: NT - So much for your interest, huh? If you don't feel l

LOL

Collapse -
Re: Using an HDTV as a computer monitor

My student loan has been approved for this fall and is pending disbursement in about a week... I intend to pick up a Phillips 30" Widescreen Tube HDTV from Walmart (approx $760) that I've had my eye on for over a year now for this purpose... I already have a Radeon 9800Pro 256 and also plan to pick up Radeons HDTV Wonder HDTV Tuner and Capture card. Lemme know how your attempt goes. I feel that I may be forced to swing Sony ($1,000 to $1300 for 30 depending on source), as they just seem to be superior in the TV market... but I'm hoping the $400 cheaper Phillips is on par and only cheaper because of the brand name markup on Sony products. Email @ kcoriginal@yahoo.com if you want to keep your email address in my inbox so I'll remember to tell ya how it goes. This goes for anybody else as well.

Collapse -
Re: Using an HDTV as a computer monitor

There has been a lot of discussion about this here:
http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=477
Some people also have this question where this has been discussed in detail as well as other High Def Computer questions. Also the HighDefForum.com has some great discussions on HDTV, High Definition Programming, VOOM, HDV Camcorders and more!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.