TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Using a UK TV in the USA

by Potata35 / April 3, 2008 5:58 AM PDT


Can anyone tell me whether I can use a Philips 26" LCD TV (Model - 26PF9956/12) that a bought in the UK 2 years ago over here in the USA?

I appreciate that I'd have to use a converter to change the voltage from 240v to 110v but what about the signal? I currently subscribe to Comcast Digital for my TV services.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I embark on shipping over the TV from the UK.


Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using a UK TV in the USA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using a UK TV in the USA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Riverledge / April 3, 2008 2:34 PM PDT


Not the voltage, but the signal (tuner) would not be compatible.

I suggest further research. Good luck,


Collapse -
by HTHMAN / April 4, 2008 1:48 AM PDT

If you use the TV inputs rather than the RF input, I am sure it will work from the cable box.

But, by the time you ship it and buy a converter, it might be just as cheap to buy a new TV here and sell your old one.

Collapse -
In the UK they use the PAL system.
by jcrobso / April 4, 2008 3:30 AM PDT

In the Us we use the ASCT or NTSC, they are not compatable. John

Collapse -
to pick up an old thread!
by bighouses / June 2, 2011 4:25 AM PDT

Many TV's in the UK have will work in the US 'out of the box'. My Poleroid works great, it is Pal and NTSC compatable. All i had to do was put a US lead in the back. and with my region free DVD player I can watch all my old UK dvds, new US ones and watch all the US TV I want via the Digital Antenna or Cable. Like I said many TVs will do this. But you have to look into it.

Collapse -
Need clarification please
by Marisa12578 / January 22, 2012 10:55 AM PST

Bighouses, when you say all you needed was a 'US lead' do you mean just a plug adaptor for your UK tv and multiregion DVD player? Did you still need a transformer for the voltage difference? Any clarification would be appreciated!

Collapse -
The TV mentioned was probably dual voltage 110/220
by Pepe7 / January 22, 2012 1:01 PM PST

In that case all you would need is a new plug ("lead") for the US.

Keep in mind all TVs sold across the pond aren't like this.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.