General discussion

using a IDE to Sata connector

I have an IBM desktop from the pre-dual core era. Thinkcenter
Intel 4, 3.2Gz. XP Prof

The board has IDE connectors. Would I benefit from a gain in performance if I installed a card that allows for a sata drive?
oh and I will be installing Win 7
Thank you

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: using a IDE to Sata connector
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: using a IDE to Sata connector
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Rarely.

It's more about the hard drive than the interface. Let's say the IDE drive has a 4 millisecond (mS) seek time and my SATA has 8 mS. The IDE wins the usual benchmarks. Change the drive specs and the winners and losers change.
Bob

- Collapse -
><

That is very interesting. thank you.

CNET Forums

Forum Info