Mac OS forum

General discussion

Using a HD from a PC on a Mac

by 1travlr / November 10, 2010 9:26 PM PST

I posted this question in the itunes forum a while back and received no replies so i am seeing if someone here can help. I have a drive from a defunct pc that has a family member's itunes library on it that I wish to de-authorize. Since I no longer have a pc in my household can this be done using a Mac?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using a HD from a PC on a Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using a HD from a PC on a Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That might be difficult
by Jimmy Greystone / November 10, 2010 10:22 PM PST

That might be difficult if the drive is NTFS. Without third party software, Macs can only read from NTFS, not write to it.

I know very little about iTunes, except that it killed off all meaningful competition for music playing software on the Mac platform and left us with the steaming pile of excrement that is iTunes. How this ever made it past Steve Jobs' infamous uncompromising standards is a real head scratcher.

So, if I had to guess, I'd say your best option would be to make a new user account on your computer, then set up iTunes with the person's iTunes username/password, import the data from the old drive, then you can deauthorize it. I'm not sure if there's some central database over in Cupertino that stores authorization info or if it's kept locally on the machine, but if it's local, then you'll at least have time to work out some method for writing to an NTFS partition. If it's some mystery server in an Apple server farm, then you should be able to delete the content after deauthorizing. Then delete the account too, though sometimes it's useful to have a second account around in case something ever happens to yours. More likely on Windows than OS X, but what does it hurt to have it and never need it? It takes up maybe a couple MB of space.

Collapse -
Another option
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 11, 2010 12:00 PM PST

would be to log onto the iTunes account of that family member and de-authorize ALL the computers connected with that account.
Then go back and reauthorize the ones you actually want.

P

Collapse -
Like I said
by Jimmy Greystone / November 11, 2010 9:01 PM PST
In reply to: Another option

Like I said, I know next to nothing about iTunes, except that it killed off any meaningful competition in this software category and left us with a steaming pile. So, I will gladly defer to others on this one.

Collapse -
Thank you
by 1travlr / November 12, 2010 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Like I said

Thanks to both of you for the input. Your help is much appreciated.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?