General discussion

Using a calling card with Fax

Aug 27, 2005 9:06AM PDT

I want to use a calling card for any long distance calls from my computer--fax calls, specifically. Using the "fax wizard", I set up dialing rules, added the access number in General under "access an outside line for long distance calls" , added dialing rule to use the specific area codes I'd be dialing, then deleted it since it didn't seem to work, and added custom calling card information including phone number and calling card dialing steps. None of this seems to make any difference. When I send a fax, it dials the number of the fax machine, totally ignoring all the rules. Please let me know how I can use this feature! Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Using a calling card with Fax
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Using a calling card with Fax
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I don't think it works that way
Aug 27, 2005 9:40AM PDT

A fax dials a fax number then connects. To use a calling card, the fax program would have to dial the calling card number first and it isn't designed to do that.

- Collapse -
The option is there in the fax wizard
Aug 27, 2005 11:30AM PDT

The only thing a calling card does is route it first to a billing number, then the fax number gets dialed. The fax wizard has dialing rules, calling card options, etc. Why would these options be there if they're not usable.

BTW, I'm using XP Pro.

- Collapse -
Try this:
Aug 27, 2005 9:55PM PDT
- Collapse -
Using the Help function of MS Fax.....
Aug 27, 2005 10:20PM PDT

brings this added info:

Cause: Calling card information is defined per user. The Fax service is not running under the same user account as the calling card information.

Solution: Right-click My Computer, click Manage, click Services and Applications, and then in the services list, double-click Fax. Click the Log On tab, and set the Fax service to run under the calling card user account.

- Collapse -
Managing the fax service.
Aug 28, 2005 7:53AM PDT

This looked like it's just what I need, so I went into Services, double-clicked Fax, went to Logon, and set the fax service to run under my user account. I deleted the password, since I don't use one, stopeed the service, and attempted to restart it. However, it won't restart: "Cound not start the Fax service on Local Computer. Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure." So I went back into Logon, and it looks like there's a password there, instead of the blank that I requested. Returning control to "local service" renders it usable but without the calling card.

Okay, so I gave myself a password, and it restarted the service. Perhaps this will do the trick. Question: if I were to logon under the default admin account in safe mode and add all the calling card info there, would that make it accessible under "Local Service"?

- Collapse -
I found this
Aug 28, 2005 8:03AM PDT
- Collapse -
Calling card setup
Aug 28, 2005 11:57AM PDT

The problem definitely was with the Local Service/User permissions. That said, this is an excellent resource, which gave me the means to check my setup. Thank you. I had looked for such a thing and not found it, and it's now on my list of resources.

- Collapse -
More fax problems.
Aug 28, 2005 12:48PM PDT

When I set the fax service to my logon name, the service will not start, and it doesn't recognize the fax service as a service any more, but as a regular printer. It then tells me the Microsoft shared fax driver is not available, and would I like to install it. If I say, yes, then it gives me a list of manufacturers like Canon, etc., and if I select "I have disk", it doesn't find the driver. The tabs under propreties also change: Devices, Tracking, and Archives all go away. All that's left are General, and Sharing. In both configurations it tells me sharing is not supported. I'm about ready to tear my hair out! There's got to be something I'm missing, but I don't know what it is.

- Collapse -
I do not use this calling card service.....
Aug 29, 2005 10:29AM PDT

in my faxing, but I did notice on the Calling Card tab, there is a place for an Account number and a PIN. Perhaps you missed this?

- Collapse -
Account number and pin
Aug 29, 2005 11:40PM PDT

Unfortunately, no, I didn't miss it. Everything is where it needs to be. It just doesn't work as it should.

- Collapse -
Same problem here
Aug 30, 2005 11:26AM PDT

I was searching for the solution to this problem today and found your discussion. So far the most useful answer was this microsoft link to why it may happen:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=318575
ie; format must be: 1+(NNN)NNN-NNNN
However, the number I want to be dialed shows up as correct per that article and the XP Fax program still ignores the dialing rules. In my case my long distance call is in my same area code, but I don't see why that should be a problem. In fact I can't find where it would allow me NOT to include the " 1+ ". Plus if I try to NOT enter an area code the fax program will prompt for one.
I'll keep looking, but I'm starting to think it may be better to get one of the many shareware Fax programs available.

- Collapse -
correcting dialing rules
Aug 30, 2005 12:25PM PDT

''RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, type the telephone numbers in the following format:
+Country/RegionCode (AreaCode) SubscriberNumber
For example, this is the format for a subscriber in the United States of America in canonical format:
+1 (nnn) nnn-nnnn ''

Further down, it says typing in only a string of digits may not allow it to parse correctly. Well, the only thing these fields will allow is a string of digits..no + or - or () allowed. This was pre-SP2 so maybe getting rid of calling cards was one of the ''fixes''. Wink

- Collapse -
correcting dialing rules?
Aug 31, 2005 1:36AM PDT

Could be. I'm up to date with XP "fixes". I think it may still be doable because I have found several posts elsewhere that indicate others have worked around it or just got it to work by doing something that we have already tried.
There's a guy named Russ Valentine who wrote an article about how to use XP fax service and replies to people who have problems like ours. Here's a good example of a forum exchange. (careful of link word wrap)
http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?t=763272&highlight=calling+card

- Collapse -
Work around
Sep 1, 2005 3:54AM PDT

I was able to skip the aggravation of complete failure and send a fax by unchecking the "use dialing rules" box and manually entering the complete string of the calling card access numbers and the fax number to be dialed.
I started with a Word document and print to FAX to bring up the Fax Wizard.
Until this can be properly automated I think I'll just have a simple text file with the calling card access string that I can cut and paste when I need to fax. I just don't need to send a fax very often and it's not worth it to me to invest in a separate program.

- Collapse -
this advice really worked
Sep 17, 2008 5:03PM PDT

I've been very frustrated tonight until I found this and here I found the only answer that worked. It was very easy to follow and effective.

Thanks!!!!!

- Collapse -
Phone and fax
Aug 28, 2005 7:27AM PDT

There isn't any "mail and fax" on WXP Pro. I did a search for all the .cpl files to see if it was there somewhere, but no dice. I went to the referenced info, but it applies only to Windows 95 and Microsoft Exchange.

Back to the drawing board.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sorry I wasn't of any help
Aug 28, 2005 7:52AM PDT
- Collapse -
calling cards and faxing
Aug 28, 2005 12:06PM PDT

I have an HP printer and fax, and use a calling card. The card's number is programed into the phone connected to the printer-fax. When I fax I hit both numbers for the card and then the fax number I'm sending to, all manually on the phone connected to the printer-fax, I don't use the fax's digits, I manually use my touch tone phone and when done dialing I hit fax, and start and as soon the fax starts to pass my work through, I hang up the phone and watch the "window" inform me what is going on ie: faxing page 1 etc. Please try this, it has worked for me
normjo@tampabay.rr.com

- Collapse -
Printer/fax
Aug 28, 2005 12:39PM PDT

My fax is actually the fax program in Windows XP, and not a separate device. Any dialing is done by the computer, and any pages sent are on the computer. I don't see how I could send a fax in the way you're using.

- Collapse -
Simple Solution For Single Faxes
Aug 25, 2008 2:35PM PDT

I finally entered the entire dialing sequence as one long number. This example assumes faxing a single document using a calling card. From Word (etc.), with Windows XP Fax already installed, select File, Print. Select Fax as the printer. Type in a name for the To field. Be sure the Dialing Rules checkbox is NOT checked. In the phone number to dial, enter:
1800callcardnum,,,,1,,,,yourPINnum,,,,1areanum
where "1800callcardnum" is the calling card access number, commas are for pauses, "1" is for English, more pauses, "yourPINnum" is the PIN number for the calling card, more pauses and "1areanum" is the 1 area code and phone number of the receiving fax machine. OK all the prompts and it should dial, send the fax and hang up. This example worked with an AT&T calling card; add or subtract commas as needed to control the length of the pauses and modify the numbers as needed for your calling card's dialing sequence.

- Collapse -
Re: Using a calling card with Fax
May 25, 2012 2:37PM PDT

I am not very sure if it possible to connect the calling card to fax machine. Maybe it depends on the type of calling card or the kind of fax modem you have. If I am not mistaken, a calling card can be used together with a mobile phone, home phone or pay phone. It is a convenient device that consumers pay in advance to make calls. It is cheaper and affordable compared to other options. I personally used a calling card. Using it help me saves money in making local calls, long distance calls and even international calls.
If it is possible to connect the calling card to a fax machine then it is greater. More functions and works can be done. Let me know if you already connect your calling card to your fax machine and help me on how to do it so I can try. Thanks.

CNET Forums

Forum Info