Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

by rwp_17 / April 6, 2005 1:21 AM PDT

on my windows me build 4.90.3000 hp computer i would like to set it up so that if you click cancel in the user selection screen you enter into a user that can't acess the control panel or install or uninstall anything

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USERS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USERS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
pleease help
by rwp_17 / April 6, 2005 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: USERS

i just need to know how to do this in windows me

Collapse -
The DOS based windows have little ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: pleease help

There is not such security in this OS.

There are ways, but nothing elegant.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) read about polyedit, google it
by Melati Hitam / April 6, 2005 2:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
Melati Hitam is almost right but it would be poledit...
by Edward ODaniel / April 6, 2005 2:17 PM PDT

and that would be the system Policy Editor.

As Bob notes, there isn't much security built into the home based Win 9X operating systems but Policy Editor will pretty much do as you want.

Here is a link I have usually pointed people to as it explains usage and pretty much walks you through using it. Even has links to the Policy Editor in case your CD isn't handy or is just a recovery version.

Follow this link and read and enjoy --

Collapse -
I have an issue with POLEDIT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 9:38 PM PDT

Since the registry has no permissions restrictions on merging registry changes, whatever you do is easily undone.

It's not secure.

Collapse -
hide it all
by rwp_17 / April 7, 2005 1:22 AM PDT

i just want to make sure that control panel does not have easy access
so that i can protect my computer

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2005 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: hide it all

Rename CONTROL.EXE to something else you can remember.

Again, with all that is... DOS WINDOWS, it's a very leaky boat and you can't patch it and expect to keep me from making any change I want even if you locked it up with POLEDIT.

Collapse -
what is it?
by rwp_17 / April 7, 2005 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Then...

what is "control.exe" and what does it do
note i have very little an idea of the inner working of windows ME

Collapse -
Run control and find out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2005 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: what is it?

You must apply yourself here.

Collapse -
That too is true Bob BUT...
by Edward ODaniel / April 7, 2005 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Then...

most users in offices or multiple user situations at home are not as knowledgable as you or me or several others here and simply removing Run from the start menu would doom their efforts.

There are many fairly knowledgable users who would be lost if you removed their access to the Start menu Run and to My Computer and Windows Explorer and the command prompt. They don't know you can shell out from many applications nor do they know for instance that they could type c:\windows\system32\control.exe (the actual path on their own machine may differ) into their Internet Explorer and open the control panel (or that they can use it as a replacement for Windows Explorer for that matter). They don't know that they can create a hyperlink to an application within a document to gain access--try it in a word processor that supports hyperlinks, works great.

For most people and users the simple things are adequate. When the users abilities to bypass the simple things improves then we escalate restrictive measures which would include getting away from DOS based operating systems but even with more secure systems if we have physical access we can overcome security measures.

Collapse -
Isn't that what has Microsoft working so hard?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2005 5:36 AM PDT

By hoping people are not able to do such things or if an exploit is "hard" then Microsoft used to ignore it.

This is one very leaky OS and not a good choice for any lockdown.

What happens and I've watched this far too many times is that someone locks the office down. One user discovers the way back in and tells all the others. Next time someone else finds the hole and tells all the others.

The poor admin wasted the company's time, money and resources for years and my point is simple. Do the simple things but don't delude yourself.

Collapse -
use Tweak-UI...
by Gakada / April 7, 2005 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: hide it all

there is a configuration that will hide your control panel...

If you want to access it.. then you have to know where you put tweak-ui.exe application .. make a shortcut, rename it, and put it in any folder.. of course you have to protect that folder...

I have done this and I get lockout myself.. unable to find tweak-ui.exe ...

Collapse -
Granted but you can also remove or...
by Edward ODaniel / April 7, 2005 3:36 AM PDT

rename the registry editor and you can even tighten down restrictions to only what you want to allow.

Nothing in life is perfect but for Win 9X the policy editor is a good choice and for most users it will thwart their efforts to bypass what the computer's admin wants restricted.

Collapse -
registry editor?
by rwp_17 / April 8, 2005 1:26 AM PDT

i don't know how to registry edit
i don't want to know how to registry edit for fear that i migh completely screw up the computer 0_=

Collapse -
My advice?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2005 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: registry editor?

Don't muck with this. Any lockdown has issues that you have to be the expert to unlock or return it to it's normal operation.

I'd leave it alone given your current expertise.

Collapse -
by rwp_17 / April 8, 2005 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: My advice?

i wish to hide the hard drives and the control panel but still be able to acess them from the run command which i want to only be able to be accessed form the keyboard.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) At your current level. Use TWEAKUI for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2005 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: run
Collapse -
by rwp_17 / April 8, 2005 8:01 AM PDT

thank you

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?