Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

USERINIT.EXE Problem

by theseney / May 16, 2009 2:03 PM PDT

I accidently deleted the userinit.exe file, creating the log on/log off problem. I have gone into the recovery console, navigated to C:/WINDOWS/system32, but when i tried "copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe" it says the system cannot find the file specified. Help ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USERINIT.EXE Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USERINIT.EXE Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's not the procedure I used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2009 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: USERINIT.EXE Problem
Collapse -
RE: Procedure
by theseney / May 16, 2009 10:08 PM PDT

unfortunately, this doesn't work because I'm using a burnt CD of only the bare recovery console program, as I don't have the windows XP disks.

Collapse -
Ahh.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2009 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Procedure

Now go get the right tool for this job.

Collapse -
No other way?
by theseney / May 16, 2009 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Ahh.

Ordering the Windows XP CD would take to long...I have files on the infected computer that I need to use ASAP. Is there another possible way? I tried copying userinit.exe onto a flash drive and then moving it to the infected computer, but i'm not exactly sure how to correctly do that, or if it is a plausible option.

Collapse -
Are you in the wild?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2009 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: No other way?

You only need to borrow someone's XP CD or copy for a day.

Yes, I've seen people try to do without the right CD for this repair. The results are disastrous and it is a shame that we see them lose it all over not asking their friends for a little assist.

As to flash drive or other I never make up a new procedure when I have one that works every time.
Bob

Collapse -
Eh
by theseney / May 16, 2009 10:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Are you in the wild?

I guess I'll try to see if anyone has it. I don't see why the CD doesn't come with the computer.

Collapse -
I know the answer to that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2009 10:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Eh

But that's been discussed at length.

-> HERE"S A CHEAP FIX.

Install a new hard disk and set the old drive aside. Now use the restore media you created when you got this PC. Or install the OS you have. AFTER all is working add the old drive in some USB external case or internally and get your files back.

Cost of that move should be well under 99 bucks. And given the costs of data recovery houses a bargain.

I think having the right CD is the right way to fix this one.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by theseney / May 16, 2009 11:16 PM PDT

I think I'll just use the CD option. If I had to, where could I go to purchase the right Windows XP restore CD?

Collapse -
Where I go
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2009 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Is Newegg.com, Frys or such. XP is not expensive compared to the data recovery or shop counters.

However this is all in my PC rescue kit so while I can't hand out copies of the XP licenses I do have it handy for the occasional repair.
Bob

Collapse -
Well...
by theseney / May 22, 2009 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Where I go

Got the cd. Put it in. Went to recovery console. Typed in the corresponding CD drive. HIt enter. typed CD I386, it said no floppy or cd in the drive. what now?

Collapse -
try DIR next time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2009 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

There are some people that don't get the 'real thing' and the directories are renamed, etc. I can't imagine why.

And don't skimp on the details. If you see D:\> please tell.
Bob

Collapse -
Moment by moment
by theseney / May 22, 2009 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: try DIR next time.

I turn on the computer, with the CD in. Press a key to boot the CD, wait a solid 5 minutes on the Windows setup blue screen while files are loaded. Get to the windows setup welcome screen, where i press R to enter the recovery console. I'm asked to chose which windows installation i would like to log into, and i press 2 to get to C:\windows (1 is H:\MiniNT). The computer asks for password, i dont have one on log-in so i press enter, i type in D:, hit enter. D:\> shows up. I type in CD I386, and it says "There is no floppy disk or CD in the drive. I am 99% sure that D: is my CD-drive.

Collapse -
AHA!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2009 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: try DIR next time.

Why is the I386 dir renamed to Minint?

That's a fine clue this is not a Microsoft issued CD. Once you get the right CD the instructions do work.

Collapse -
Umm...
by theseney / May 22, 2009 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: USERINIT.EXE Problem

No, I have a Digital Media Manager that is on my computer, which is drive H:, the 1st option is to fiddle with that. The CD is Windows XP professional installation CD, fresh out of the officially liscensed package. I don't think the CD is the problem. What's safe/unsafe about using the XP repair install?

Collapse -
Additionally,
by theseney / May 22, 2009 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Umm...

when i type DIR after D:, it once again says there is no floppy or CD in the drive.

Collapse -
Yup!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2009 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Additionally,
Collapse -
Okay,
by theseney / May 22, 2009 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup!

but this is the 2nd CD I have used. I really don't think that its the CD, and I think no matter which CD i use those 2 options will always be at the start of the recovery console.

Collapse -
Second CD or more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2009 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay,

What you need is the Microsoft issued XP CD. Any download or BARTPE or other will just waste your time at this. I've repaired this issue dozens of times so I can assure you it works.
Bob

Collapse -
but
by theseney / May 22, 2009 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Second CD or more.

I am using an officially liscensed CD, like I mentioned before.It still even has the packaging and everything.

Collapse -
You say that but "Minint" is a common BartPE image.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2009 8:41 PM PDT
In reply to: but

I wonder if you got some discount CD? It's a sad world out there with people selling "officially liscensed CD"s that are just crack copies. There's a lot of money to be had here so the fallout is what it is.

The method works. If it doesn't for you, then you have to find out why. As it stands the indications are that you don't have the right media.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!