Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

User Accounts

In control panel. user accunts, I have two Accounts: Computer(administrator) and Guest. However under Documents and Setting I have:
1.Administrator
2.All Users
3.AllUsers.windows
4.(my name)
5.Computer
6.Guest

More info: A while back I had a problem and used the XP disc to fix. At that time I mistakenly created the profile (my Name) instead of leaving Computer as the right user.
Also all the cookies go into (my name) instead of Computer where I want them to go.
In Documetns and setting can I safely delete all users except Computer and Guest? If I do will Computer profile create a file for cookies which is doesn't have now?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: User Accounts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: User Accounts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looks normal to me.

In reply to: User Accounts

What's the issue here?

"In Documetns and setting can I safely delete all users except Computer and Guest?"

You could, but why mess up the OS? That is, I can't count how many tried to get XP down to 1 account and effectively locked themselves out when a profile became corrupt.

It's your choice here, it is possible but has a danger.

Why do this?

Bob

Collapse -
One oddity

In reply to: User Accounts

The "Computer" account seems odd to me, but it very well could be used by some bundled program with your computer. It could also be a default account created by the install image used by whatever company made your system.

Administrator is a default Windows account, and you don't want to mess with that.

All Users is a special folder that will impact your current user account in unpredictable ways if you remove it.

AllUsers.windows looks like a backup from the installation of some update or maybe service pack.

<YourName> is pretty obvious, and I've gone over Computer.

Guest should be a disabled account. If it's not, make it so that it is. It can have some uses, among which is serving as a beachhead for hackers. It should only be enabled and used if you're disconnected from the Internet, or understand the associated risks and have taken preventative measures.

Collapse -
Computer Account

In reply to: One oddity

Computer is the right account set up by the Computer store who put XP on my computer a while back. Everything was fine until I had a "crash" and used the Windows XP CD to get things going again. By mistake I created "my name" account and should not have done that. I guess what you are all saying is to leave well enough alone. I can live with cookies going into "my Name" account instead of computer account. For what it is worth, when I tried to copy the cookie file from "my Name" to the computer account, it said the account was already there, but it isn't.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.