HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

User Account Control.

by ichijin / June 4, 2008 6:43 AM PDT

Hey all.

I have tried repeatedly to turn off the user access control thingy in the user account. When I open it up, it says 'check the box to turn it on'. The box is not checked, so technically it SHOULD be off, but everytime I do anything it pops up to ask if I would really like to do that. How do I actually disable that?

Also, the Windows Vista Task Schedular, I have disabled it in services, and deleted all tasks (that it would let me from it) and also removed it from the startup and run locations (registry and otherwise). Everytime I log into Windows, I still get taskeng.exe in my running programs. I can 'end process' which temp kills it for a bit until I run something else then its right back. Is there a way to permanently kill this also? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: User Account Control.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: User Account Control.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not that simple...
by John.Wilkinson / June 4, 2008 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: User Account Control.

First, to disable UAC you must uncheck that box and then fully reboot the computer...the changes are not applied until you do.

As to Task Scheduler, it cannot be disabled through services.msc, and will continue to launch automatically as it's deemed by Microsoft to be a critical service used by Windows and third-party software. You should not permanently kill it.

John

Collapse -
Botched UAC?
by ichijin / June 5, 2008 9:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Not that simple...

That is my dilema. Silly Unchecked, UAC is off. Checked, it is on. Well, mine is ALWAYS unchecked, and always running. Putting a check in the box, and restarting the UAC doesnt make a diff either. No check in the box every time. Even after reboots, even in safe mode. Heh.

Ask for Task Scheduler. Just some crap MS wants you to load. If you control+shift+escape and kill it manually, everything on your system still runs perfectly, so why bother with more resource sucking stuff? I have gotten it down to only one instance running, and killing it with C+S+D gets rid of it at least until reboot now, it used to be restarting and restarting.

Thanks for the response.

Collapse -
Have you tried TweakUAC?
by John.Wilkinson / June 6, 2008 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Botched UAC?
TweakUAC may be able to disable UAC whereas the standard Control Panel route fails by directly modifying the respective registry keys. It's free, so it's certainly worth a try.

John
Collapse -
TweakUAC.
by ichijin / June 6, 2008 9:15 AM PDT

Seemed like it would be the answer, but for some reason it will not run.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Version with SP1 if that makes a diff. (Maybe not support SP1 yet?)

Collapse -
It does support SP1...
by John.Wilkinson / June 7, 2008 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: TweakUAC.

Though I wonder if this wouldn't bee a good time to run System File Checker and repair any errors found. (TweakUAC does require UAC's approval, but if UAC is corrupted it may not run to disable UAC.)

John

Collapse -
SFC.
by ichijin / June 7, 2008 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: It does support SP1...

Ok, ran command prompt as admin, ran sfc /scannow, went through its paces and:

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Which I am assuming means everything SHOULD be working fine. Heh. Went back to TweakUAC webpage and downloaded it again, ran it, it says:

"Could not read the current UAC settings.
Please visit http://www.tweak-uac.com for an updated version of the software."

This is latest version. Silly Something else I am missing?

Collapse -
Could not read the current UAC settings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2008 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: SFC.

To me that reads that the PERMISSIONS are incorrect for account or registry. It does not mean TweakUAC is broken.

Did you try to run as Admin?

Collapse -
Possibly....
by Soul Raven / June 8, 2008 12:33 AM PDT

Just a few questions for you, and things to try. There could be any number of things causing this, but I'm curious to know if you use or have used any tweak or registry mod applicaitions. Or if you have some bloated security sweet that possibly modifies UAC.

Also, please note that there is a difference between the UAC pop-up and the one you see when you attempt to run an app or installer by an unpublished source. So in theory you can have two pop-ups asking you to allow the program under certain circumstances. This could be why you are continually recieveing a prompt that you believe to be UAC.

==========
TROUBLESHOOTING
==========

1) Create a "new" administrator account on the machine and attempt to disbale UAC. This eliminates the possiblity of profile corruption.
2) You can attempt to disable the settings within Safe Mode, and see if the same thing still occurs.
3) You can try a clean boot within a normal startup to determine whether this is related to 3rd party applications/services.
4) You can perform a system restore prior to when the problem first began.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to add them to the thread.

Collapse -
Well..
by ichijin / June 8, 2008 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Possibly....

No security or anything other than standard Vista stuff, though I have disabled most of those annoyances (defender, majority of UAC, etc). As for registry, I was deleting stuff out of there myself to get rid of some of these things. Guess I may have botched it myself, though I dont recall removing any UAC stuff. Will try another account, and go from there. Thanks.

Collapse -
UAC
by Craigster45 / June 22, 2008 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: SFC.

Sounds like you are having the same problem that I just solved. Are you by change running Ad-Aware with Ad-Watch enabled? If so, you need to turn Ad-Watch off. With it running you will get the error running TweakUAC as you described. I was having the same problem but once I turned off Ad-Watch I was finally able to get the stupid UAC turned off. I had even tried to hack the registry but I was having no luck because Ad-Watch would not allow the changes. I do recommend Ad-Aware for your spyware because as I have found out it does a great job protecting your computer. Now, for the people that say you shouldn't turn it off for a single user, I have been using a PC for some 15 yrs or so and I do not need to be asked multiple times if this is what I want to do. It is a good idea but Microsoft needs to make some changes with it. It is just a big pain in the butt!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.