General discussion

User Access control on ethernet based external hard disk

Hi all,
I was going through these LAN hard disk available nowadays. Seems pretty usefull to have it on the network and then anyone can access it from their own PC. But the problem is of access control. What can we do if we do not want everyone to access every folder. Is there any way to do the access control based on users ?
Thanks for the help
AQ

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: User Access control on ethernet based external hard disk
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: User Access control on ethernet based external hard disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You didn't say.

What OS. For example if the OS was Windows NT or later and the external drive was NTFS then NTFS permissions is sufficient.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply,
If you are asking for the PC on the network, we have 7-8 PC on the network with most of them running windows XP and one or two on Windows 7.

- Collapse -
Then NTFS would be one solution.

The machine that "serves" up the files would have to have accounts maintained and then we use NTFS permissions to grant or deny each account access to what we see fit.

As there are plenty of web pages on NTFS permissions I must stop at that point.

Many go nuts over all the maintenance, the tedius account and if you had XP Home the 5 user limit. That's why businesses usually end up on a server.
Bob

- Collapse -
But there is no dedicated machine on the network

But there is no dedicated machine on the network which is always on. All machine are personal systems and they are normally turned off. So if it requires a PC which can be used to set the user profiles, and it can be turned on and off then it should be ok. But if it requires a PC which should be always on then we would have a problem.
Can you help me clarify this doubt.
Thanks,

- Collapse -
Let's talk about drives on a lan or nas.

Given no two are alike we would have to download the manual for each one and see what user access controls each one offers. Remember there is no standard here for this product type.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks all for the reply.
Yups it was right that different HDD have different options. So I searched for the manuals of Western Digital. Finally I bought the western digital book world which offers me the needed functionality.
Thanks all for the time.

CNET Forums