iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

Useless fact I just realized about my iPod touch

by grimgraphix / September 8, 2012 3:18 PM PDT

Interesting, useless (or maybe not) realization on my part. I just discovered about my 32 gig iPod Touch.

I had about 10 gigs worth of avi movies stored on there, that I had been playing with luberplayer. I threw them away, and when I re-synced my iPod to my Mac, it freed up 10 gigs on my computers hard drive.

Well "duh"... when I back my iPod up, it backs everything up.

Still, this made me think. I ask myself, if I had a 64 gig iPod with non music files on it, then wouldn't I need to to keep 64 gigs free on my hard drive? If I had multiple IOS devices synced to one computer, then I would need to keep the equivalent amount of hard drive space open to accommodate backing them up.

I'm thinking about adding an iPad or two, to my collection of apple devices. If I don't back up to the iCloud, how much space might I expect to be occupied on my main computer? Do I just need to keep room for the files that are not duplicates of songs and movies already stored in my iTunes? Or does and IOS device keep a certain amount of cache on my computers' hard drive that may, or may not actually contain data?

I guess this is the kind of stuff IT people deal with all the time. It's new to me though.

macbook pro - snow leopard
iPod Touch 4G - IOS5

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Useless fact I just realized about my iPod touch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Useless fact I just realized about my iPod touch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hopefully not a useless answer
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 8, 2012 11:36 PM PDT

iTunes stores the backups it makes in the following folder: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup
Note that this is NOT the library at the root of the Hard Drive but is the library that is in your Home folder.
Get there by going to the GO menu in Finder. If the library is not visible, access the GO menu while holding down the Option key.

Once there, select one of your backups and Right Click to Get Info. Now that you know the size of the backup, you should be able to figure out how much HD space you will need for additional iDevices.

Is that what you needed?

P

Collapse -
Thank you, Peter
by grimgraphix / September 11, 2012 8:23 AM PDT

Good information to know.

What you are saying is that the backup for mobile devices isn't in the iTunes library, even though iTunes is the software used to perform the backup. Interesting.

So if I keep my iTunes library on an external HD, my mobile devices will backup to my computer's main HD?

One learns things every day !

Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Yep!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you, Peter

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!