TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Used Sony DA50ES

by ..ben / March 5, 2007 2:04 AM PST

My Marantz SR5200 is giving me problems and I just came across a Sony DA50ES for considerably less than I was planning to spend on something new to hold me over until the "new" 7.1 receivers show up. Assuming it's in good condition, and barring the usual used-gear advice, is there anything I should know about this particular model? Like it explodes, ruins speakers, gives off sterilizing amounts of electromagnetic radiation, etc....

*looks at NM_Bill* Happy

Best,
Ben

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Used Sony DA50ES
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Used Sony DA50ES
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ADVICE FOR MR. BEN
by stewart norrie / March 5, 2007 6:16 AM PST
In reply to: Used Sony DA50ES

Seems like a decent amp nothjing special , I read 1 review and it was like 2 stars not good. I could not find if it would do 7.1. or not. I would say no because you can buy a top brand hi-quality a/v/ amp for around $250 You would be getting a warrenty and would output 7.1. and I just added 2 rear speakers on the bavk wall , set my Denon to 7.1. and I love it 360 degrees sound field knocks your socks off , If you do buy it $50,00 max and that might be a waste of money steweeee

Collapse -
I THINK IT'S A 1998 MODEL, ONLY 5.1........
by Riverledge / March 5, 2007 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: ADVICE FOR MR. BEN

SONY JUST INTRODUCED 4 new 2007 AVRs last month, available around April 1st. See C-Net's CRAVE blog. STR-DG910,is 7.1.

river

Collapse -
Thanks but...
by ..ben / March 5, 2007 7:22 AM PST

No thanks, not one of them has built-in 7.1 decoders for DTS HD-MA or Dolby TrueHD. If I'm going to plunk down a few hundred dollars on a receiver, it better have them logos on the front because I have no interest in buying that $1200 Panasonic BD player (the only one currently available with built-in decoders).

Collapse -
Yup, it's old, but...
by ..ben / March 5, 2007 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: Used Sony DA50ES

I only need it last me a year or so.... Am I being impatient?

The asking price is $125. Apparently it was very expensive back in the day. AudioReview.com has 197 reviews on it, average 4.14/5.00. Nearly all of them complain about the 2-way remote (which was so hot back then), which isn't an issue for me anyway because I have an H/K TC30. The owner upgraded to 7.1 and now has no use for it. There's one on ebay, too, for $150 or so (pictured with that owner's PSB speakers, which is a confidence booster, but it's not the same seller). Plus I can pick it up locally.

If I were to buy a new receiver to hold me over, I guess I'd go with the Onkyo TX-SR504 ($230) or Yamaha TX-V459 ($265). But I'm also dying for one of those SVS subs, too!! So that would postpone that purchase even more.. And then ANOTHER receiver down the road....

So frustrating! Stupid receiver! Had to break NOW.... Ugh, I am SO PISSED OFF!

I hate technology!

Collapse -
Ben used $125 new top of the line $250
by stewart norrie / March 5, 2007 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: Yup, it's old, but...

Were talking about $125 here When I started building my home theater system I was so pumped up that I took on another job. piece by piece, and after a year of hard work Iam in t.v. heaven dont be so cheap ha ha steweee

Collapse -
barring the usual used gear advice, ../ben, you have put
by NM_Bill / March 5, 2007 10:42 AM PST

yourself in a badly frustrating corner. Impatient & broke.

I Googled probably to the same stuff as Stewee. A grand of classy when new. Didn't you notice the several reliability problems reported. $125? Nope, the guy couldn't give it to me.

Waiting for HDMI 1.3? If you're going to make due for a year, hmm? I'd still go to higher end shops that also do used equipment. Never know what you'll find. Some people with loose cash actually do trade in in a year for the latest. Dealers asking prices are on the high side, but that's because they're only asking prices, a starting place.

What the heck, put a want ad in the paper too. Well, you seem to recognize my philosophical posts, so clear your mind & post back to let us know what's what.

Collapse -
*sigh*
by ..ben / March 6, 2007 12:37 AM PST

So it's been 10 minutes now and I'm just staring at this empty Message Body window... lol

Okay, I guess I call this guy back. So between the TX-SR504 and the RX-V459, which looks better? Something else I should consider?

Collapse -
Well, there are more fans of Onkyo here than Yamaha
by NM_Bill / March 6, 2007 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: *sigh*

My recent years experience has been with Denon. Hey, what can I say? A best friend still glories in his all Yahama gear, whereas I had a top end Yamaha that had repeated trouble. I wound up tossing it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!