General discussion

Use workgroup (ethernet) printer while logged onto domain?

I have an XP Pro laptop, my work computer, that logs onto a domain. When I work from home I use my home wireless network to get an Internet connection and then use VPN to connect to my corporate domain. The user account is a domain account that uses cached info to log onto Windows.

My home network includes a Canon MX850 MFP, connected by Ethernet to my router. I'd like to be able to use that printer wirelessly from my laptop. If I ping the IP address of my router from the laptop the request times out, and if I try to access it through my web browser the IP address is not found, but I'm obviously connected to it since I'm online.

What steps do I need to take to be able to print from my laptop? I'd also (ideally) like to be able to share files and folders with my home computers but the printer is the most important thing.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Use workgroup (ethernet) printer while logged onto domain?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Use workgroup (ethernet) printer while logged onto domain?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No.

Ask your workplace IT for a discussion about what a VPN is. If you did access your local network then the VPN is broken and not doing what a VPN should. What a VPN is, is well documented and what you are asking for is a leaky VPN which doesn't exist for a good reason.

Again, your office IT should take a few minutes to help you catch up on how a VPN works and why your efforts failed.
Bob

- Collapse -
So then.....

....if I disconnect from the VPN I should be able to set it up?

- Collapse -
Yes.

A working VPN is "just like" you going to the office and plugging in there. If you can't get to your home shares there, then a working secure VPN won't let you do this at home.

VPNs work much better than Control's "Cone of Silence."
Bob

- Collapse -
Split tunnel

Working as designed I suspect. It is a very common thing when you open a VPN that the VPN client will force all traffic through the VPN and not allow any local traffic. Many will disconnect if you attempt to make any changes.

You only option is to get your IT department to enable split tunnel to allow you to access thing on the local net when you have the vpn up. Most IT will tell you where you can go with that idea.

You should be able to download the thing you want to print disconnect the VPN and then print it. Also most directly connected printer such as a USB printer should work with most VPN clients.

- Collapse -
LOL

I should be able to manage with disconnecting from VPN when I need to print, or share files with other computers on my home network. I was able to install the printer after disconnecting from VPN so I think I'm good to go.

Thanks.

- Collapse -
Similar situation but different problem

I've a company issue Lenovo T61 that also logs me into their domain. I don't have an office but work from home. We use some Nortel VPN software needing a changing code from a token. I can print from my network printer just fine and can share files on my home LAN with or without VPN. However, I cannot get on the internet at all without VPN enabled. This goes for both for home and roaming when in motels and connecting wirelessly. It's set up so that I must use the goofy IBM Access connections utility and anything I try to do to get around it either fails or breaks my system needing a help desk call. I don't care much...it's their laptop...but I don't have your problem so there must be a solution.

CNET Forums

Forum Info