TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Use PC or DVD player on my LCD

by ajaffarali / November 18, 2005 5:12 PM PST

I just bought a 40" LC TV with 1366x768 resolution. The DVD player I have was connected to my 29" CRT using the component cables (Red, Blue and Green) but using that same connection on the new LCD doesnt give THAT great of a picture. This is prolly coz my DVD player's output is 480 instead of 720.

Now, instead of buying a new DVD player, can I connect my PC with DVI/DSUB connection and use that to play DVDs using PowerDVD or some other application? Would that result in a better output? If yes, why dont most people use this instead of gettting a dedicated HD DVD player?

Thanks
Abbas

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Use PC or DVD player on my LCD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Use PC or DVD player on my LCD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
control
by sirroundsound / November 18, 2005 11:50 PM PST

You may also want to be sure that all your settings on both the TV and the DVD are correct.

An LCD/TV allows for video and computer connections, so sure you should be able to connect your computer and use it to play DVD's. For most people, having the computer in the same room as your main entertainment TV was not done. Now we have media centers working their way into our home theatres. As for just connecting a regular PC, that may be fine, but how do you plan on controlling the DVD player?
Most of us are used to having a remote in our hands, we turn the TV on, and there is a picture, we put a disc in, switch inputs and there is a picture, all this being done via remote control, or a universal remote.

Collapse -
PC vs DVD Players
by ajaffarali / November 19, 2005 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: control

So would you say that PCs offer better quality white set top boxes offer more convenience?

-Abbas

Collapse -
No...
by sirroundsound / November 19, 2005 11:52 AM PST
In reply to: PC vs DVD Players

Didn't say that. I doubt the DVD drive in a computer is any better or worse than a variety of consumer models. In fact most consumer DVD players are probably better for the money. Your computer DVD is only as good as your video processing card. I also would not be interested in playing movies, and hearing the sound of my computer fans going during a quiet passage.
I still would suggest that you need to confirm all the settings in both the TV and DVD player, You may also want to make sure the TV has been calibrated. What else do you have connected, and do they look better?

Collapse -
Quality
by ajaffarali / November 19, 2005 2:59 PM PST
In reply to: No...

I have my PC connected which looks incredible. I also have my cable box connected which looks decent- not awesome but not bad either.

My DVD player is by JVC and one thing I noticed on the new LCD is that when I turn the player on and the JVC logo pops up, it has artifacts around it. I mean you can see a few blocks/squares around the logo which I never saw on my CRT. Thats why I thought that this player is low-res and not meant to be connected to high-res display.

I've played a few DVDs and it seems that outdoor day-time shots appear better than indoor shots on most of the DVDs. However, there are exceptions such as my T2 extreme edition DVD which plays back fantastic.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?