General discussion

Use of USB memory stick as System RAM?

This might be a dumb question but, Can a 2g USB memory stick be configured to be used as system RAM? I have a Dell Dimension 4400 with 512mb of RAM. If I want to update to the max of 1024mb, I would have to dump both 256mb sticks and buy 2 512mb sticks. Seems like a waste. Is there a way to configure a USB 2g stick to act as system ram? I am running Win XP Home. Will Windows recognize anything over the max of 1024mb?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Use of USB memory stick as System RAM?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Use of USB memory stick as System RAM?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry.

Not a feature of this OS.

- Collapse -
No but you could

reformat it and add some virtual memory to your system. Just plug it into the back and configure it like any other drive then assign most of it for virtual memory. RAM Chip to USB chip virtual memory is faster then RAM chip to HD virtual memory. Once it's set up this way don't pull it out that's why I said the back. See Ready boost on the net for details.

This thread untracked

Happy Holidays Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info