Question

Use of battery vs. AC connection.

I have just purchased a Samsung laptop. I have been told that I should not use the AC connection until my battery is nearly empty. Is this correct? Can I hurt the battery by using the AC before the battery is dead?

Charles
cholt@gt.rr.com

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Use of battery vs. AC connection.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Use of battery vs. AC connection.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Battery and life cycles

If this is one of the latest models of laptops, don't over concern yourself with the battery. Simply plug AC in and charge the battery and once done use the laptop. For all intents and purposes, draining the battery down to its last bit of juice isn't advisable but it shouldn't hurt it. At the same time, most users don't get to that point and recharge as a usual practice. Of course, I exclude any battery issues or recalls that have come from time to time but these are strictly related to "poor batteries" in some form. On that issue, check the support website for any notices on the topic and verify.

- Collapse -
Battery vs AC use.

Thanks for the input. It was very helpful.

ilistn2u

- Collapse -
Answer
Lots of bad advice out there.

Most of is is from the bad old days of NiCad and NiMH batteries. With new charging circuits and management chips on the new LiON and LiPO batteries we just plug in when AC is available to reduce the number of cycles the battery goes through.

Your worst advice seems to come from those that sell batteries. Go figure.

And the SPAM ROBOTS do harvest those emails. Do you want this alerted for email removal?
Bob

- Collapse -
Battery vs AC use in laptop.

Thanks for your input. This is very helpful.

ilistn2u

CNET Forums