TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Use of a center channel speaker with a flat panel?

For a home theatre set up with your flat panel on the wall, what is the best speaker to use for your surround center channel speaker? Do most of you use the tv's speakers for the L & R channels or use external speakers. I also need to use the same speakers for my stereo. THANKS!! Rick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Use of a center channel speaker with a flat panel?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Use of a center channel speaker with a flat panel?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can use the TV speakers, but a "real" center is better.

In reply to: Use of a center channel speaker with a flat panel?

Most TV speakers are just for convince, not high quality.
I have a CRT-RP HDTV it has room for two 6" woofers and two tweeters in the case and 30 wats per channel. It sounds OK for a TV, but if I turn on my JBL center speaker it just blows away the built in TV speakers. John

Collapse -
ALL NOT CLEAR

You said stereo? You must have a a/v/ amp and a 5.1. speaker system for sirround sound a good quality 5.1. amp is about $250 and that amp will go all the way to 7.1. which will blow your socks off you wont be watching the movie you will be in the movie yes it will also do stereo if you listen to f.m, have a tape deck or turntable etc. Just remember all speakers must be matched from the same manufactour and designed to work with each other dont mis match speakers Then run your optical out from your d.v.d. player and hi-def sat or cable box to your receiver and vidio straight to the t.v this is a fool; prof way to wire it up do not run any h.d.m.i. thru your receiver because some a/v/ amps will not pass thru a sat or cable signal hope thjis helps last spend your life savings on speakers a lifetime investment steweee

Collapse -
Center channel?? Thanks!

In reply to: ALL NOT CLEAR

What about the center channel? On my old mitsubishi I placed the center channel on top of the TV. Where do you place the center channel for a flat panel/ RickyRick

Collapse -
ALL EASY

In reply to: Center channel?? Thanks!

ATTACH TO WALL ABOVE OR BELOW THE DISPLAY. anywhere as long its on ear level mabey a little shelf should be no problem steweee

Collapse -
How's the possibility of a new A/V receiver (@ $250) & a

matched set of new speakers for front L & R and a true center? Use the older speakers for surrounds. The results will more than upgrade you, it'll nearly astound you. If you could consider a total budget of a grand, it'll be worth it.

I'd look for some of the following to especially look for to be able to audition: Paradigm Atom, PSB Alpha B or it's step up, PSB Image T55, Energy RC-50, Epos ELS 3, & Monitor Audio Bronze B.

A world different than using the built in speaker afterthoughts. The center positioning? Well, as close to center as practical. Like maybe over or under the set.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!