Cameras forum

General discussion

Use Digital Camera to troubleshoot a TV remote control

by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 16, 2009 9:26 AM PDT

Let's say your remote control for your television set has stopped working.
You install new batteries in the remote control, and it still does not work.

Do you call the TV repairman or go buy a new remote control?

Neither .... you go get your digital camera.

Turn on the digital camera, and have it in recording mode.
That is the mode, ready to take a picture.

Now place your remote control in front of the digital camera lens (2 to 3 inches from the lens).
Look at the LCD screen on the digital camera.
Press a button on the remote control and you should see the infrared light or lights from the remote control in the LCD.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Use Digital Camera to troubleshoot a TV remote control
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Use Digital Camera to troubleshoot a TV remote control
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Using digital camera to check remote
by jim442 / May 29, 2009 12:21 PM PDT

OK so the lcd on the dig camera shows the remote is transmitting-so what?? all that shows is that the batteries are not the problem,right?
or am I missing something??
Jim

Collapse -
TV Remote test with Digicam
by DSHornet / May 29, 2009 5:42 PM PDT

I think the point is that the transmitter has a good power supply and it works. After that, it's an issue of finding the code for the TV, DVD, VCR, cable converter, or whatever else the remote is used with, and re-enter the programming codes that may have been lost when the batteries went bad. Saves a trip to Wal-Mart just to drop money for another remote.

Neat idea. I'll try it with my digicam and see how it works.

Collapse -
Right
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 30, 2009 12:23 AM PDT

And it proves that the infrared light(s) in the remote is(are) working.

Collapse -
Damn! Sounds too good to be true...

It's like the story I heard about being able to unlock your car using a cellphone recording of your car's electronic key's inaudible signal. That turned out to be a dud. I will check this one for sure though.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.