Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Use CD's from Amazon

by itsdigger / September 13, 2013 9:50 PM PDT

I was divorced in 1999 and my ex-wife and I split the music collection. Well I've been building that collection back up over the last few years. In the wee hours og the morning I discovered that Amazon sold used CD's but they're coming from vendors from all points on the compass . Some of these are like .99 cents or $2.00. It varies. Has anyone used this venue in this fashion ? Is it safe because i'm racking up quite the list of used music. Thanks for your time...Digger

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Use CD's from Amazon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Use CD's from Amazon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't you live in Chicago?
by Steven Haninger / September 13, 2013 10:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Use CD's from Amazon

I'd try to see if there are used record/CD stores. Maybe you could even dicker on price. I'd try areas near colleges and universities. We have a very large university near me and used music is easy to come by. There are used book stores that also have CDs. At least you'd get to look at their condition which is something you'd not get with Amazon. Another source you can look into is libraries. I don't mean you should borrow and rip music but libraries take donations and sell stuff off.

I've seen the stuff on Amazon and I do wonder about shipping costs. Amazon does offer free shipping for $25 and over but I believe that's only for what they stock or "fulfill". Amazon fulfillment means they have space in their warehouses for vendors and store merchandise on those sites so they also handle the shipping. A two buck CD will be several dollars to ship.

Good luck in your treasure hunt.

Collapse -
Hi Steve
by itsdigger / September 13, 2013 10:48 PM PDT

I do live in Chicago and you're right, I could go traipsing all over for these and just might do that. I found one of my LP's for $30.00 and the CD for $200.00 here-> http://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Island-Jeff-Lorber-Fusion/dp/B00000DOPV/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1379162054&sr=8-16&keywords=jeff+lorber+fusion ,They Gotta Be Kidding! It was never put to CD (as far as I know). And you're right about shipping too, it might cost .99 for the used CD but $3.99 for shipping. But the price of gas and Parking in Chicago is phenomenal , anywhere from $4.00 to $6.50 per hour and Chicago is huge. You just can't go for a nice little walk to the music shop from where I live(far south side) so for some of those CD's Amazon might sound good....Digger

Collapse -
Pepe7 lives in Chicago too
by itsdigger / September 14, 2013 1:04 AM PDT

Wonder if he has an inside info about downtown music shops with used CD's Wink

Collapse -
Well, I was born there
by Steven Haninger / September 14, 2013 5:59 AM PDT

in St. Anthony De Padua Hospital and lived in a Czech neighborhood in Cicero as a tot. I ended up on Columbus, Ohio when my Navy father was transferred here. I was eventually married in the Chicago area as my wife was also born there. We had to go downtown (the loop) to get our marriage license. I have a fair idea of what it's like to travel there as I'm back and forth about every year to visit kin. I know what you mean about the traffic zoo there. I also know that some of these used record places are staffed and frequented by a very interesting cast of characters that not everyone blends well with. "Normal" people just don't look normal there. Have fun with your search.

Collapse -
Havin' a ball Steve
by itsdigger / September 14, 2013 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, I was born there

Have 27 GB of music loaded into Solydk so far , haven't made a dent in my collection yet.I'd have fun if I could just hop on the IC ( Metra these days) and go to some specific places that someone knows about but I don't see me goin' downtown and finding out it's some little hole in the wall with a bunch of junk. That's why I was hoping Pepe would see this post. I think he's more a North Sider or downtowner than I. Now that I'm retired I just have no need to go that way. Not building skyscrapers anymore Cool

Collapse -
I am a third-party seller on Amazon
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / September 15, 2013 12:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Havin' a ball Steve

I sell used & new cds. You as a buyer have Amazon on your side with their A-to-z Guarantee Protection.

About A-to-z Guarantee

We want you to buy with confidence anytime you make a purchase on the Amazon.com website or use Amazon Payments; that's why we guarantee purchases from third-party sellers when payment is made via the Amazon.com website or when you use Amazon Payments for qualified purchases on third-party websites. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the Amazon A-to-z Guarantee.

This applies to purchases made on the Amazon.com website. For purchases made on third-party websites using Amazon Payments, go to Amazon A-to-z Guarantee on the Amazon Payments Help page.

You are limited to a lifetime maximum of fifty claims for purchases from sellers on the Amazon.com website. Withdrawn claims do not count towards this maximum. Customers who pay for purchases from an Amazon seller via the Amazon.com website are eligible to receive up to $2,500 of the purchase price, including shipping charges.

We as sellers have guidelines on grading cds.

Music -- New and Used

Music formats include vinyl, magnetic tape, and disc.

If you are listing a club edition against the detail page for the standard edition, use the listing comments to indicate that your item is a club edition. For more about listing club editions, see the exception under "Matching product offerings inaccurately" in Prohibited Seller Activities and Actions.

CDs and cassettes must be sold with a protective jewel or cassette case. You may substitute newer packaging when a jewel or cassette case is damaged, but you may not substitute copied cover art or liner notes for the originals.

In addition to the General Condition Guidelines, apply the following guidelines to new and used music:

Used - Like New: The jewel case, cassette case, or album cover has no scratches or scuffing. Cover art, liner notes, and inclusions are in perfect condition. Packaging may have a remainder cut-out, which should be noted in the listing comments.
Used - Very Good: The packaging, cover art, liner notes, or inclusions may show limited signs of wear.
Used - Good: The item or packaging may have identifying markings from its owner.
Used - Acceptable: The item plays perfectly but is otherwise the worse for wear. Packaging and inclusions may be damaged, marked, or missing. Note any missing items in the listing comments.

As for shipping, $3.99 is a lot for a single cd, but most times not enough for a box set. It also depends on where I have to ship to. Sometimes I win on shipping cost and sometimes I lose.

I will say that you need to read the reviews on your seller to see what their seller performance is before buying.

Ed

Collapse -
Thank you for the info
by itsdigger / September 17, 2013 1:16 AM PDT

very helpful.....Digger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.