HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Use 7.1 receiver for 2.0 use?

by AtvandenHout / July 28, 2011 3:11 PM PDT

I have 10 (2 x 5) medium quality wall speakers located in 5 different rooms in my house and I need to buy a receiver to play the radio / CD's / I-pod music via these speakers. I was thinking about buying a 2.0 receiver and connecting the 5 sets of speakers (combining the wires) to the speaker output connections. There is not much choice in 2.0 receivers and I was wondeing if I can use a 7.1 home theater system and connect the 5 sets of speakers to this unit. Can I do that? Rembember, I just want "stereo". No surround sound!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Use 7.1 receiver for 2.0 use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Use 7.1 receiver for 2.0 use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
by 3coursedinner / July 29, 2011 4:48 AM PDT

On a 7.1 AVR, just select stereo.
Most AVR's don't have A/B speaker type controls -- now they're called zones. Once you go past 1 zone (in addition to the main speakers, either surround or 2.0) most AVR's don't power additional zones -- you need another AVR or a power amp connected to the original AVR to power them.
For what its worth -- I wouldn't connect multiple speakers to each speaker post.

Collapse -
by AtvandenHout / July 29, 2011 9:34 AM PDT

Thanks for your advise. I understand that I need to get another 7.1 AVR just to power the in-wall speakers. So just to confirm, setting the AVR to STEREO and using 5 of of the 7 speaker outputs should work just fine?

Collapse -
No. Re-read what was written
by Pepe7 / July 29, 2011 1:54 PM PDT

You could only power one group of surround speakers, and a second 'zone' that includes a pair of stereo speakers from a single (typical) 7.1 ch AVR. Under no circumstances would you schlepp five pairs to a single AVR.

For that many pairs of stereo speakers you need a distributive amplifier and control system. Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-37022-Distribution-Amplifier/dp/B000O7GSIW

Collapse -
8-Zone Audio Distribution Amplifier Module
by AtvandenHout / July 29, 2011 3:31 PM PDT

OK. Thanks again. Sorry to keep bugging you but I don't know much about this stuff. Again to clarify, do I put the 37022 20WPC 8-Zone Audio Distribution Amplifier Module (ZADAM) between a standard (2.0) amplyfier/receiver (AR) and my speakers? I.e., run 4 speaker wires (2x2) from AR to the-ZADAM and then run 20 wires (2 x10) from the ZADAM to my 5 sets of speakers?

Collapse -
8-Zone Audio Distribution Amplifier Module
by 3coursedinner / July 30, 2011 12:14 AM PDT

I'm not familiar with these whole house technology. From what I could find out, the unit only has speakers out and 1 line in (I think rca type). If you want to put this unit in between, I guess you could connect an audio out on the AVR to the unit and select the source on the AVR.

Collapse -
You need to look at the mfctr's web site
by Pepe7 / August 1, 2011 1:11 AM PDT

Always see the schematics from the manufacturer regarding the install. Just pop over to their respective web sites for the gory details.

Collapse -
(NT) Use 7.1 receiver for 2.0 use? - New!
by AtvandenHout / July 29, 2011 3:17 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.