I'm a little embarassed to ask this, but: I'll be getting a Macbook Pro with (2) USB 3 ports and I want to connect an older HP OfficeJet 4500 printer to it. The printer documentation just identifies one USB port in back. I need a pretty long connection between them - what do I look for to buy?

Discussion is locked
Reply to: USBs
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: USBs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
- Collapse -
No need for embarrassment.

The connection on the rear of the printer will be USB "B" which is a kinda square thing.

So you need a USB 3 to USB "B" cord. That said, the actual USB 3 connector looks the same as a regular USB 1 or 2 connector but cannot carry the extra speed of the USB3 link but can carry the data stream for the printer, so I would be worth trying your existing USB cable first.

There is a special USB 3 printer connector which has two connectors on it but I doubt this will fit your older printer


- Collapse -

Thanks - your reply was very helpful but I'm still a little fuzzy: HP linked me to these cables for my connection: V7 USB 2.0 Cable - Type A Male USB - Type B Male USB and a Belkin USB 2.0 Cable - Type A Male - Type B Male, and several others. Is this valid? (not that I don't trust manufacturers --)

- Collapse -
yes, that's correct

and what I had mentioned.
Type B for the printer and Type A, which is the same size and fit as the USB1/USB2/USB3

In your case the the Type A will just plug into the USB 3 socket and function as USB 2

Good Luck


Post was last edited on October 4, 2015 3:06 PM PDT

- Collapse -
Thanks -

really appreciate the explanations and the time -

CNET Forums