General discussion

USB Wireless Router

I was wondering if there was a product out there that would pretty much be a USB Rotuer. What I mean by this is I would have my Ethernet plugged into a computer coming from my cable modem. I would then have a router hooked up to my computer via USB which would distribute internet access to the other computers in the household.

Cable modem > computer >(via usb) router

Anyone know if there is a product out there? Thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: USB Wireless Router
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: USB Wireless Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Why would you want to do that?

There's no point in complicating things like that when you can just have the standard config of

Cable/DSL modem --> Router --> Computers

It's much easier to troubleshoot, set up a LAN, all that good stuff. Plus, I dislike using USB for anything networking related. USB just wasn't designed for that sort of use, whereas ethernet was designed specifically for that sort of use.

- Collapse -
Blocking System

Our school has a system setup where they can detect if you use a router for your internet connection and block that connection. I am hoping that if I have this configuration setup it would allow me to have wireless internet for my laptop. This is the real reason I want to do this. Anymore suggestions?

- Collapse -
Locking.

The forum policy forbids aiding anyone in circumventing or breaking into other people's networks.

- Collapse -
What do you see as the advantage of that vs

cable modem to router to PC(s) ?

VAPCMD

CNET Forums

Forum Info