General discussion

USB wifi adapter works, but.....

I never thought this could be so difficult. I have a gateway xp with service pack 3. I bought a D-Link DWA-125 wireless N300 USB adapter, which the specs says uses xp with service pack 3. Great, I live in an apartment and wifi is supplied.
I installed my new adapter and it works great. I have a strong signal and it connects to the apartments wifi just fine. The problem is, it keeps disconnecting in about 4 seconds.
Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: USB wifi adapter works, but.....
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: USB wifi adapter works, but.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry to say but

Sorry to say but USB wifi adapters have pretty much always been flaky at best. Of course in the case of communal wifi, you can't rule out things like a poorly configured access point, or some idiot in another unit running half a dozen file sharing programs causing problems for everyone.

To start with, you should probably get a wifi card that actually goes inside the computer. PCI for a desktop, PC Card for laptop. Make sure your laptop has a PC Card slot first though.

Also, might be best to avoid D-Link and Netgear. They have a kind of reputation for being cheap in the not so good sense of the word. Linksys isn't necessarily always any better, and if anything, the Cisco takeover has only made things worse. But like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Doesn't leave you with a lot of options, I know, but such is the sorry state of consumer electronics these days. Everything is mass produced in Chinese sweatshops, where people work 12-15 hour days with little to no rest. You can imagine how quickly fatigue likely sets in and starts affecting quality.

- Collapse -
say thanks

Thank you very much for solving the problem.

- Collapse -
Figured out it is a slow 20. usb that I have adapter require

Ok, I found out my xp has a 20. usb drive and the wifi adapter that I bought requires a 2.0 usb drive. Therefor, my usb is too slow.
Since I can't get this computer on line is there a way to upgrade my usb drive to 2.0? ie, (do they sell a 2.0 usb drive on CD?)
or any other suggestions?

- Collapse -
PCI

If your computer has PCI, you can buy a PCI card that will have 4-5 2.0 USB ports ( $10 ). Also, you said you live in a Apt, it could be that there is a lot of other Wifi connections, you may want to change the Channel your router is using. Do you any wireless house phones, or any other 2.4ghz that can mess up your connection.

- Collapse -
Thanks Creedman

Hey Creedman, that $10. pci card sounds good. Do you know if any of the major chain stores would have them? I know walmart dosn't. Or where did you see it for $10.?

CNET Forums