General discussion

USB to SATA adapter Problems

I have a USB to SATA/IDE adapter which I have used in the past to copy off data from older drives. I have a computer(not mine) running Windows XP Media center 2002 and it has corrupt system files and I don't have the install disk. I can re-format it in XP, but I want to use the adapter on my desktop to copy all her files to another external hard drive and then re-install the drive back in the trouble computer to format it again. When I hook it to my Vista system, It does not recognize it. In computer management, it says I have to initialize it but that would erase all the data, right???
While I had it running on the old system last week, I was able to run tests on the hd and the memory before it would become unresponsive.(the tests were positive) The mouse would move, but no programs would execute. That led me to believe some files were corrupt. The only error messages I got last week were:"runtime error...c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe" Yesterday it was worse and started getting the BSOD. I would appreciate any suggestions...Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: USB to SATA adapter Problems
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: USB to SATA adapter Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sounds like

Sounds like the drive is dead and you're pretty much out of luck at this point. Short of professional recovery services anyway.

There are a few consumer level programs you can try, but I wouldn't really expect much.

- Collapse -
Don't quit yet

Hi, first of all>>

***When I hook it to my Vista system, It does not recognize it. In computer management, it says I have to initialize it but that would erase all the data, right???***

I have a similar adapter and get this message with many drives. I do initialize the drive, no data loss, all is in tact. Second, sometimes it won't initialize, in this case, restart your computer with the drive plugged in, when your computer boots back up, it should read it, or allow you to initialize it. From there, you can back up the data.

Aside from this, it could definitely be a bad drive, although, it could be something that was installed causing this, conflicting programs perhaps or bad drivers, even an infection. I would as stated, try to get the info off then at this point, a reinstall would likely be the best option.

- Collapse -
Have you tried it in the USB connections on the rear ...

of the PC? Sometimes that works.

Do not have it connected to the PC until AFTER the PC boots completely. Then you should FIRST connect the power cable to the external drive so it is powered up (should hear it spinning if you can hear) and THEN connect the USB to the computer.

Also double check that the IDE connector is completely and correctly connected, a loose connection can cause the "not initialized" message as can a data cable pluged in upside down.

Something else that sometimes works is to open Drive Manager and assign the drive a drive letter.

- Collapse -
Clear up

Hi, Edward.

Perhaps I should have been more clear. They are using a USB to SATA\IDE adapter device which is what I meant to leave the drive hooked to, that and the PC accessing the drive when doing a restart, this will allow the initialize to be, well initialized and then assign a drive letter. This happens quite frequently when using these adapters.

Thanks for catching that, didn't sound to clear after re-reading it.

CNET Forums

Forum Info