Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

USB stick formatting

by GordoFreeman / November 19, 2006 10:12 PM PST

I received a free USB stick recently.
It seems that it is formatted differently somehow. XP recognises one partition of the USB stick as a CD, which has an autorun utility that opnes a webpage. The rest 60Mb of the 64 is recognised as an external drive and can be used for storage. Is there a way to format this stick and get rid of the separate partitions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB stick formatting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB stick formatting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Formatting USB Stick Memory
by Daviddude / November 19, 2006 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: USB stick formatting

When it is plugged into your computer, open up My Computer, and find the drive, highlight & right click and see if you can format it there. My USB stick is 128 MB and I could only choose FAT or FAT32 to format; I chose FAT32.
That might work.
Good Luck.

Collapse -
need to remove the partition
by GordoFreeman / November 19, 2006 10:35 PM PST

Hi
That works as far as formatting goes but it's the actual partition I need to get rid of.
I'd like it to be 1 64Mb stick rather than 60Mb of removable media and 4Mb of partitioned "CD drive".

Collapse -
U3 ?
by GordoFreeman / November 19, 2006 10:42 PM PST

I guess it might be a smartdrive in which case I need to wipe the cdfs partition so that it doesn't have this annoying autorun feature everytime but maybe keep the cdfs partition there for future use (it would have to be writable though otherwise what's the point in having it)?

Collapse -
U3 launchpad uninstaller
by Baper / November 19, 2006 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: U3 ?

Picked this quote up on a google u3 search. Do you have a Disk Utility which may include an uninstaller?

"The U3 Launchpad is only supported on Windows XP and Windows 2000 operating systems and this restriction extends to U3 Launchpad uninstallers. A U3 Launchpad uninstaller is a software module that removes the U3 Launchpad and re-configures the drive to be a single mass storage USB drive. U3 Launchpad uninstallers are only available for and must be run on Windows XP or Windows 2000 machines."

Baper

Collapse -
might not be U3 approved
by GordoFreeman / November 19, 2006 11:20 PM PST

The thing is that it doesn't have the U3 stamp and it doesn't come bundled with U3 software. I tried their uninstall feature but it doesn't recognise a U3 drive so it can't be.
However for a USB flash drive to have a cdfs as well as a fat32 partition, there must be something going on. Maybe repatitioning it would work?
Because it was a free drive, the cdfs autorun featur loads up a website advertising their site so I'm trying to get rid of that somehow.
Having a read-only cdfs partition with this on is annoyinf when the page oads each time I plug it in and I'd just like it to be a 64Mb drive if possible.

Collapse -
Links about formatting USB drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 11:38 PM PST
Collapse -
by GordoFreeman / November 20, 2006 12:06 AM PST

The flash drive is partitioned as
E: cdfs CD drive
F: fat removable media

When I use windows' Computer management it does not pick up drive e:
I tried the HP utility you mentioned and that only picks up the removable drive F:.

Any ideas?

I've turned off the autoplay for the drive in the meantime but that doesn't free up the diskspace or in fact help for other systems so it's just a temporary bodge.

Collapse -
Hi Gordo. Here's the link to the answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2006 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: ...
Collapse -
by GordoFreeman / November 20, 2006 12:14 AM PST

COmes back to the same message.
Are you being sarcastic ! Happy

Collapse -
Thought you missed the answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2006 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: .....

Sorry, it appears you need something else. All I can share is the HP util did the trick.

Bob

Collapse -
Hmm...
by Salvar / November 22, 2006 11:45 AM PST

My first inclination would be to use the Disk Management feature in Windows. If the partition is there, Windows really ought to see it. The only other options are that it's not a separate partition, and you're mistaken (which I doubt), or that it's specifically hidden from Windows so you'll always see the promotion (which is likely). In the second case, I'd guess that a different OS like Linux would be able to see it. Try booting from a live CD of Knoppix or Ubuntu and use their disk manager.

Collapse -
USB stick formatting
by gem969 / November 28, 2006 11:45 AM PST

in XP go to Control panel, Adminstrative Tools, Computer Management, storage, disk management.

I think this will let you do the partitions.

Now to format the USB to NTSF, there is another default location in XP somewhere that needs to be changed. I found it once when I HAD to format my 1 Gig stick to handle more files than FAT32 can handle. BUT once you set it you always have the option, like WIN 2K gave you.

I am sure you can search for that setting.

Collapse -
u3 technology
by PC_Nerd-Henry_Chan / December 4, 2006 11:46 AM PST

that's u3 technology. That's good. You can install antivirus on your stick and you can use it anywhere, which protects it.

You can also have skype..... just go to u3.sandisk.com and you've got it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.