Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

usb problem

by lfchisholm / December 10, 2011 1:04 AM PST

when plugging in a device wireless adapter or data stick I get themessage UNKNOWN device
I had reloaded the operating system back in Feb. of this year 2011 and went fine and also no errors and the usb data stick worke.
I would rebuild the operating system but you cannot get the updates and I don't have cd's to catch up to sp3.
any way to do a repair from the install CD?
right now I am trying to use a wireless usb adapter and it shows unknown device and this is from Belkin.
Larry

lfchisholm has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: usb problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: usb problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by lfchisholm

Collapse -
I'm confused.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: usb problem

Just a few weeks ago we got a refurb XP laptop with "just XP". I hooked up the ethernet and by the next day it had installed 200+ updates and more and was then at XP SP3 without using any CD.

Your statement confuses me. Why can't we update to SP3?

Also, we can't plug in that stick and expect it to work. We must install the required service pack, drivers and then it might work.
Bob

Collapse -
windows xp usb problem
by shipinomore / December 10, 2011 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: I'm confused.
It seems the last time I tried to load xp on a machine and install sp3 right away it told me that sp1a had to be installed first. could be wrong.
is there a way to just reload the usb software?
on this laptop usb ports were a problem before and after reloading the OS back in Jan. all worked just fine. but over the summer sitting in a box as we are gone in the summer something is wrong again.
the current system is up to date and is at sp3. I was going to start all over but windows XP from what I have read is no longer supported?
Collapse -
usb problem
by shipinomore / December 10, 2011 4:09 AM PST
In reply to: windows xp usb problem

Bob right now we cannot connect to anything.
first at&t has not connected the dsl circuit we use normally. so I tried connecting to the park (we live in a mobile home park) but it won't connect because I think the wireless card does not support G or N
So I was trying to use a Belkin wireless stick but it wouldn't recognize the usb device. I also have driver updates on a stick but of course it won't recognize it either.
so right now i am downloading sp3 exe on a friends laptop and will trey to re install it to see if it will clear up the usb problem.
make sense?
larry

Collapse -
Just sharing last week's experience.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: windows xp usb problem

It was some refurb laptop. Since it didn't have any SP (not even sp1 or sp1a) only the ethernet could connect.

I let Windows Update work on that for a day and it was at SP3 the next day at which point I could install the drivers and use the wifi.

Since few wifi drivers work on XP without SP2 or later this is why I had to use ethernet.
Bob

Collapse -
usb problem
by lfchisholm / December 10, 2011 5:55 AM PST

Bob
just got back from installing xp sp3. all went OK did not get any errors. checked system and it shows sp3.
Still get the unrecognized device error when I plug in any usb device.
do they have a repair option on the install cd for xp?
I have not tried loading that as I don't want to ruin the current installation.
this is a Toshiba laptop and fairly old but works great with eithe dial up or DSL. but at&t in texas really sucks and they are not real responsive to customers.
Larry

Collapse -
Still sounds proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 6:13 AM PST

Be sure to look at the machine's maker for drivers for the motherboard as well as drivers for the USB devices.

This is never automatic here. I continue to use the same methods I used in 1995 and prior.

I know, I know, you would have thought by now it would have been much better.
Bob

PS. If you don't supply machine details, folk may not use that information.

Collapse -
usb problem
by lfchisholm / December 10, 2011 6:06 PM PST
In reply to: Still sounds proper.

Bob
The Toshiba is a model A105-S1013. I did find drivers for WiFi and it speaks to G so will install it today and perhaps be able to connect to the park system. nothing for USB could I find.
Larry.

Collapse -
This machine looks to be from 2006
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2011 12:07 AM PST

And would have shipped with XP SP2.

Maybe something was left out of the story such as you are not using the factory OS? This would explain so much. XP would not have support for this chipset so a new person to installing a retail XP might not know to install the chipset drivers to get the USB working.

Or they may think that Driver Upate button works.

I can't tell and hope you try the factory supplied OS next.
Bob

Collapse -
usb not recognized
by lfchisholm / December 11, 2011 2:28 AM PST

Bob now that you bring this up we did order a OS system online and it was because we could not get his original from back home. Also he did not bring down this winter either.
I guess at this point I want to close all of this out unless you have a suggestion on how we can get some download that is equal with what is on the original OS.
thank you for all of your time on this with me.
Larry

Collapse -
2 links and more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2011 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: usb not recognized

If you read http://forums.cnet.com/7726-7587_102-2699006.html it is not for your laptop but gives you an idea that installing Windows XP is never easy enough. We also use this as an example of what order to install drivers after the install.

At http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=1209144&rpn=PSAA2U&modelFilter=&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663 I see the drivers spread across 3 pages for XP.

Did you notice the "ATI UMA Chipset driver"?

Please ask Toshiba for the install plan.
Bob

Collapse -
USB Problems
by lfchisholm / December 11, 2011 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: 2 links and more.

Bob just one more question
I am starting to get real confused.
I have Windows XP Professional with a Key and it is legal for me to have.
Would it be better to do an up grade to the existing xp or would I get in to more problems?
just a thought.
Larry

Collapse -
Good question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2011 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: USB Problems

If you can't install XP Home then XP Pro will not make it any better.

-> I make no apologies for Windows XP. You are dealing with what is now a very very old OS that folk were expected to take classes, read books and have an install plan.

It's that simple. This OS might install but getting the boards, ports, sound, video, wifi, buttons, led indications to work is why I think folk should stick to the restore media or replace the machine. At some point this OS is unsupportable.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.