1. do your devices need USB 1.0 or 2.0? 1.0 is old standard. 2.0 may not be supported in older PC's.
2. USB provides 5volt to power some devices and that part may have burned out.
3. We assume that USB support is "enabled" in "setup" (enter this at boot).
4. If the device is ok and enabled, W98 automatically detects it and installs drivers (W98 install CD may be needed). If the device has failed, W98 won't detect it.
5. harware detection-install usually doesn't happen under safe mode. You could try safe mode to see if the device is again listed but something in regular boot disables it.
6. an add-in USB port card can be purchased $$, but if some area of the mobo has failed, it may not work. If this new card works and onboard USB still doesn't work, get a USB Powered hub, to save the card. Then you'd know that one of your devices burned out the onboard USB.
I've had a few devices that use USB ports including web cams, infer red device and mp3 player. My first web cam didn't work because the disk provided didn't work so i downloaded the driver off internet but it still didn't work. I got a new web cam and when i went to install it, it came up saying "no USB port detected." Later on i went to upload some music on to my MP3 player (which was working before) but it said "no device detected" I then decided to look in the device manager the USB ports where still listed but my web cam and mp3 player still didn't work. Now when i go on device manager the USB are no longer listed at all.
Some people have said that the problem could be because of the downloaded driver for my old web cam, damaged USB ports through over use.
Could some one please explain where the problem is and how i can fix it and is it possible to re-install the USB drivers and how is it done. THANKS