General discussion

USB ports not working

I'm on a Dell Dimension 4550 w/Windows XP Home SP3. The USB ports aren't working. I've had an HP PhotoSmart 2610 (all in one) hooked up to it for years and it's worked fine. But now it's not reconized even though in the Device Manager it says it's working properly. It's not listed in Printers and Faxes anymore because I uninstalled it to try and get it working again. Now I can't install it because the USB ports won't even acknowlege it when I plug it into any USB port.
Wait, there's more.
When I plug any other USB device into any USB port it crashes my system and sends me to the blue screen. Sometimes it has an Error Message with the five part numbers sequence (error codes). Other times it's just the error codes without a message.
I've contacted Dell Support via e-mails because the warranty has long since expired. The advice they gave were things that I had already tried and were of little help.
Here's what I have tried, I started simple by shutting down and then unplugging the CPU and then rebooting. Didn't work.
I had a few ghost devices that I wrestled with but finally got them uninstalled. Example; The HP printer was showing up as mass storage device or another USB device that hasn't been use in quite some time.
I reinstalled all the drivers related to the USB tree. Hubs and Controllers etc.
I updated the System BIOS Chip set.
There are NO yellow warnings by any device in the Device Manager.
But recently I discovered in the DB/DBM SMBus Controller's properties it states that there is no driver installed in this device.
So I immediately went to the installation wizard adn reinstalled it and the wizard confirmed it had installed the driver. But after restarting my computer it still said there was no driver installed. I repeated the process a couple more times with the same results.
Now remember, there's no yellow warnings to inform me of this. I find it in it's properties.
So this got me curious and I went ahead and went one by one through each device's properties and made an interesting discovery. There are eight (Cool devices that don't have drivers installed. Yet they all say they are working properly, and no yellow warnings.
These are the 8 devices; Progrmmable Interrupt Controller, System Timer, Direct Memory Controller, System Speaker, System Board (1), System board (b), Numeric Data Proccessor, and the DB/DBM SMBus Controller.
I went through the process of unistalling and then reinstalling each of them with the installation wizard saying all is cool, but then in thier properties there's no drivers. I don't know what to do from here.
Oh yeah, I did write down most of the Error Messages and Codes.
(1) STOP:0x00000007E (OxC0000005,OxF9D3D8E8,OxF9D3D7E8,OxF9D3D4E4)
(2) ERROR MESSAGE: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
STOP:0x00000050(0XFFFFFFF3,)X00000000,0xF9D418EF,0X00000000)
(3) ERROR MESSAGE: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
0x00000050(OxE3991482,oXOOOOOOO1,OxF9E398DD,0x00000001)
(4) ERROR MESSAGE: DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE
0x0000009F(0X00000101,0X8264EAC0,0x0826AU380,0x82BB3BB0)
(5) STOP:0X0000007E(0xC0000005,OxF9E3D80F,0xF9E3D7EC,0XF9E3D4ECool
(6) ERROR MESSAGE: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
STOP:0x00000050(0xFFFFFFE4,0x00000001,0xF9E458EC,OxOOOOOOOO)
Those aren't in any particular order except the first one, that one was today's.

I'm about at my end here. I've been wrestling with this for several days now. I know I wrote alot of stuff here but I wanted to be as descriptive as possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you. Gary

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: USB ports not working
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: USB ports not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Could be a number of things

By updating the system BIOS chip, do you mean flashing the BIOS with an updated version directly? If so, this could have compounded things in some situations. I wonder if you went through the BIOS setup and made sure all that was previously enabled still was, that which was disabled remained such, etc. If a BIOS flash was a significant update, Windows can get confused. In any event, you can try setting your BIOS to defaults and see what happens. A worse possibility given your USB symptoms is actual failure of something in the southbridge component. I had this happen recently and the USB function was permanently though not fatally damaged. I had to buy a PCI-USB adapter to regain enough ports to fulfill my needs.

- Collapse -
"But recently I discovered in the DB/DBM SMBus Controller's

"But recently I discovered in the DB/DBM SMBus Controller's properties it states that there is no driver installed in this device.
So I immediately went to the installation wizard adn reinstalled it and the wizard confirmed it had installed the driver. But after restarting my computer it still said there was no driver installed. I repeated the process a couple more times with the same results."

Since the driver wizards are not functional or reliable why not find and install the driver the old fashioned way? Go to Dell.com, put in your service tab and install the motherboard chipset driver package.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info