Question

USB port in camcorder to Firewire port in iMac?

I have a Canon HV20 camcorder that has a USB port. I would like to capture footage in Final Cut Express on my iMac. Is there an adapter that would link the USB port in the camcorder to the Firewire port in the back of the iMac?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: USB port in camcorder to Firewire port in iMac?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: USB port in camcorder to Firewire port in iMac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Sorry, no

while there are a number of devices that claim to do the job, none of them are really successful.

- Collapse -
Answer
No (again) and why not connect with Firewire?
- Collapse -
Answer
Aha! There is a 4 pin Firewire port!

I found the port. Thanks everybody! Now I need either a 4 pin to 800 (9 pin?) Firewire cable or a 400 to 800 adapter so it will fit in my iMac. Either way, it oughtta work.

FInal Cut Express 4 won't work with USB. The FCE Manual mentions USB exactly once on the section about capturing video, but I couldn't find USB anywhere else in the manual or on the Mac sites that I searched.

Thanks again everyone!

CNET Forums