Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

USB or PCI Wireless device

by cut_me_deep / July 31, 2005 6:07 PM PDT

hey people

just decided to go wireless yay me,

anyway the plan is to set up the router on a RJ-45 get it all running nice and smothly then unplug the RJ45 and swap it for a wireless BUT! i need to kno is USB 1.1 better than PCI for the addaptors signal strenth and power consum.

Thanks

Sean

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB or PCI Wireless device
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB or PCI Wireless device
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No
by El Alquimista / July 31, 2005 8:06 PM PDT

and it is four times slower than an 802.11g PCI card.

Frank

Collapse -
the ups and downs...
by Dick White / July 31, 2005 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: No

As Frank notes, USB 1.1 is much slower than a PCI slot (actually, the limiting factor will not be the PCI slot, but the inherent speed of the WiFi equipment - 54Mb/s for standard 802.11g, faster for the proprietary speed burst and Pre-N brands; whereas USB 1.1 maxes out at 12Mb/s). However, if you are not going to be transferring large files between multiple systems on your internal network, then the speed of USB 1.1 may be fast enough for all but the very fastest tiers of cable broadband, so ordinary web surfing will be unaffected.

The upside of a USB WiFi device is greater flexibility in the placement of the antenna. If your computer placement conveniently works out for reasonable signal path between the router and the antenna sticking out the back of the PCI card, then you're fine. But if there are signal path issues, you'll need an external antenna with a pigtail extension wire so you can put it where it gets a good signal. The USB WiFi is already on a 6' cord so you can put it where is works best.

dw

Collapse -
USB then?
by cut_me_deep / August 1, 2005 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: the ups and downs...

ok well the router i just ordered is a D-link Pocket Router Ap - 802.11g Ns (its a used one from ebuyer.co.uk) i think G is 54mb's but i havent even upgraded to usb2 yet i dont see the point i only use a 256mb MP3 player a digi cam (usb 1.1) a webcam and a USB modem (DSL 1.1mbs) so i have no use for it but i do download alot on my pc (upstairs) so i was thinking of getting a PCI for that and a USB for this (after getting the router working im going to unplug ethernet and get this whole network wireless)

ok well cheers for the help Happy

Collapse -
oh my...
by Dick White / August 1, 2005 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: USB then?

Hope I'm the one who is confused now... You say you use a USB DSL modem. Is is a USB-only device or is it a combination USB-or-ethernet device? If the only available connectivity on your side of the modem is a USB cable between the modem and your computer, then you are going to have a problem. Routers (wireless or wired) require an ethernet input from the DSL or cable modem. (Then there will be more ethernet from the router to computer, but you are already counting on that...). That means you don't have any way for the DSL modem to pass the signal to the router, and without the router, none of your ideas will work.

Or.... your DSL modem is a combination model. Some of them can connect to the computer by either USB cable or ethernet cable (but not both...). If you have one of those and it is currently connected to your computer by the USB cable, then you just use the ethernet jack on the back of the modem instead when you connect to the router.

BTW, you mention "downloading alot." The quantity downloaded is not the issue, but the speed of the DSL incoming connection from the internet. Even USB 1.1 is faster than all but the fastest tier (i.e., most expensive) internet connections. Thus you will still be able to download just as much just as fast. USB 1.1 only starts to hurt if you have a huge file that you want to copy to the other computer. It will take a lot longer to transfer than if the 2 computers were connected by wired ethernet or by 54G wireless via USB2 or PCI. Both USB2 and PCI can use the full speed of the 54G wireless, but USB1.1 would only go 1/4 the speed of the 54G capability for such internal transfers even though it is faster than the incoming internet.

dw

Collapse -
My question
by Alan Copeland / August 1, 2005 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: the ups and downs...

is the long term life of a USB as opposed to PCI. I leave my machines on for 12-18 hours/day. I was told that the USB card might not last as long with this usage.

Collapse -
Dunno...
by Dick White / August 1, 2005 12:50 PM PDT
In reply to: My question

I haven't heard one way or the other which will last longer. Regardless, my current view is that device longevity is as often a function of manufacturing quality as device type (i.e., a cheapo PCI device may very well crap out before a quality USB device?) but the relevant issue actually is not device longevity but technological obsolesence. I fully expect that I will replace most of my stuff with devices that have more features, newer standards, etc. long before they break.

dw

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.