windows xp home +SP2
224 mb ram
motorola surfboard usb modem
VIA fast ethernet adapter
c-media AC97 audio device
s3 graphics pro-savage ddr

ok, two questions,

1 which is better ethernet or usb?

2 i have a usb mouse and the modem connected at the moment with usb but if i plug in my camera my mouse crashes and wont move. I can simply plug it back in and it works for a while but if i un plug the camera the problem goes away.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: usb or ethernet problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: usb or ethernet problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
my views
by Dick White / July 17, 2005 12:39 AM PDT

1. Ethernet, hands down. That whole USB "networking" confection was a kludge that somebody dreamed up in 1995 to make the new "does everything" USB port do something worthwhile besides print. Back then, consumer-grade systems rarely had an ethernet port, as that was an enterprise feature. You didn't say which Surfboard you have, but if it has both USB and ethernet, get it off the USB and onto the ethernet. If it has USB only, get a new one with real ethernet.

2. If your computer has a PS/2 mouse port, get a PS/2 mouse (or use the USB-to-PS/2 adapter that came with the mouse. Now your camera has nothing to fight with.

Collapse -
thank you
by marcdennis39 / July 17, 2005 2:54 AM PDT

the camera works fine if its just the mouse and the camera plugged into usb but try using the internet throught he usb and thats when the problems started.

damn i guess the secetary at shaw cable was right, gee and i thought she probably didnt know any better.

Collapse -
by marcdennis39 / July 17, 2005 3:15 AM PDT

i un-installed the usb drivers and rebooted the comp and that solved the problem.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?