Peripherals forum

General discussion

USB Not recognized (plug and play)

I recently purchased an External DVD R/RW (actually an NEC burner in an external enclosure) that was supposedly Plug and Play. When I plug it into my Notebook (HP ze4400 series) with Windows XP, it comes up with an error recognizing the drive. It tells me to connect the drive again and if it still has an error remove it. What should I do!?

Thanks for any help,
George

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB Not recognized (plug and play)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB Not recognized (plug and play)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:USB Not recognized (plug and play) (on USB 1.1)

In reply to: USB Not recognized (plug and play)

Collapse -
Re:Re:USB Not recognized (plug and play) (on USB 1.1)

In reply to: Re:USB Not recognized (plug and play) (on USB 1.1)

Ok, I installed a new USB2.0 Card (I/O Flex 5-port PCI USB 2.0 Host Controller) in an available PCI Slot in my Dell Dimension 4100 (w/Windows XP). Plug n Play recognized it right away (I didn't even have to manually install the drivers, altough I could figure out how to on their CD because the path they had in their manual didn't exist). So all my devices, mouse, modem, printer and Smart Card reader work, but of course my new USB hard drive still didn't.

After turning / unplugging everything and installing from scratch, Plug n Play did recognize the device and installed it without error, BUT again Windows Explorer did not recognize it but it was listed in DEVICE MANAGER without errors, but when I tryed to open DISK MANAGEMENT it bombed out, when I rebooted, I got the error message and with Device Manager not reconizing the drive and a yellow exclamation point on driver.

Any suggestions! Thanks !

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:USB Not recognized (plug and play) (on USB 1.1)

In reply to: Re:Re:USB Not recognized (plug and play) (on USB 1.1)

You need to use the clues at http://www.usbman.com

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6618-0.html?forumID=6&threadID=23020&start=0 is a nice treatise about how little is supplied with such errors and in your case, there is no chipset, make/model for me to give you a direct link to USBMAN's tricks and traps page for your boards.

It is also possible you installed a driver where none was required. I have installed a few (too many) of these and a common trap for some is that they think because a driver is supplied, they should use it.

In closing, consider the card/device is new. It doesn't work and you have a warranty issue. Maybe it should go back?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:USB Not recognized (plug and play) (on USB 1.1)

In reply to: Re:Re:Re:USB Not recognized (plug and play) (on USB 1.1)

When I installed my new USB2.0 card, would it have changed my existing USB1.1 card? I assume it would not, so I have 2 USB1.1 slots and now 4 USB2.0 slots.

Thanks

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:USB Not recognized (plug and play) (on USB 1.1)

In reply to: Re:Re:Re:Re:USB Not recognized (plug and play) (on USB 1.1)

"When I installed my new USB2.0 card, would it have changed my existing USB1.1 card?"

No.

"I assume it would not, so I have 2 USB1.1 slots and now 4 USB2.0 slots."

Beyond that, the OS and drivers have to be proper. http://www.usbman.com has quite a reading on this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:USB Not recognized (plug and play) (on USB 1.1)

In reply to: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:USB Not recognized (plug and play) (on USB 1.1)

Western Digital has a diagnostic sortware, Data Lifeguard which I downloaded. After a while of just sitting there it recognized the drive and went through a routine to partition and configure the drive. It said it was all set up but still Disk Managment/My computer/Explorer don't recognize the drive.

Collapse -
The usual.

In reply to: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:USB Not recognized (plug and play) (on USB 1.1)

Sorry if I repeat this, but USB 1.1 doesn't work around here on such drives. Other checklist items.

1. Review http://www.usbman.com about drivers and USB chipset issues.
2. Try the drive on another machine. The drive could be defective. The WD utility means little if it doesn't perform for you.

I'd note the hide drive letters is possible in Explorer, so I rarely use that since Explorer hides and mangles files so it's "unreliable." Why I don't think this is the issue here is that the Disk Management doesn't show the drive.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:USB Not recognized (plug and play)

I assume this was all USB 2.0 equipment. If your HP is an older series, it may be only USB 1.0 compatible. I did a brief check on Google and found some indications this may be the case. Even if the hard drive were backward compatible, it would be very slow.

Collapse -
Fixinf WD USB not recognized Issue

There are many threads detailing this issue, and here is the order that worked for me. First, I updated to Windows XP SP3, just to ensure the latest driver was on my PC. I then disabled, re-started, and then enabled my 1394/FireWire to make sure there was no issue there. Finally, I plugged the drive in again where I received the "USB not recognized error" again, I left the USB plugged in and pulled the power cable from the back of the MyBook. I then plugged the power back in to the MyBook and listened for any noise. The hard drive started spinning and I saw my PC go through the typical AutoPlay routine. I was then able to see the data on my MyBook drive. As an EE, I can make two predictions since I do not have enough data to have a definitive answer. The first would be the drivers did not re-initialize with the MyBook plugged in and once it was unplugged it "reset" the transfer protocol and made the PC and MyBook correspond appropriately. Second, the disc control circuitry (since it is a mechanical spinning of the device) had gotten lost and needed a hard reset (i.e. an unplug) to get oriented correctly under USB control to determine how and where to begin spinning the drive. I hope this helps anyone with this issue! I tackled it for 3 hours!

Collapse -
usb not reconised

hcl laptop window xp pro

Collapse -
(NT) This post from 2004 is now closed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!