HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

USB mouse problem in vista

by christo3d / October 13, 2009 5:29 PM PDT

I think I've pulled out my last bit of hair trying to fix this problem myself.

About a week maybe a bit less ago, I was playing a game and started to get a bit of mouse freezing very brief here and there. I just kind of brushed it off though as it wasn't bothering me very much. Now the past few days have been the worst. very sporadically my mouse will pause and show the round "think" circle will show up for about a second, sometimes 5 seconds. Right when it pauses, it makes the sound like I had just unplugged it, then about 5 seconds later or less it will make the sound like I plugged it in. I tried all the driver nonsense, that never worked. I tried updating windows, that seemed to have made it worse. Infact if memory serves me, it appeared right after I updated about a week or so ago.

Now, I opened task manager to see if I can find the culprit in the processes. Low and behold, as soon as the mouse lag starts, mobsync.exe (aka sync center) shows up, then disappears after the lag and "plug in sound" stops within 5 seconds afterward. It will do this very sporadically, there's no pattern to it at all, sometimes it will do it up to 4 times in a row. I've tried system restore back to 2 weeks ago but it gives me an error after it makes me reboot. I'm completely lost. I've googled the problem of course, with a few people having the same problem but it all remains unresolved. I'm going to buy a new keyboard and mouse if this keeps up, I just wish I didn't have to spend money for clearly something that's messed up in vista. And believe me I love vista, I've been using it for years (with a USB mouse, go figure), but this really makes me want to switch operating systems. Not because of a stupid mouse, but because of heinous programs they force you to install that can't be turned off. I've tried everythign in terms of optimizing, like defrag, and registry cleaners and anti virus scans. Here are my specs.

Video: ATI radeon X1650
Processor: Intel pentium D @3.00x2
RAM: 4GB crucial (only 3.2 being used because of OS)
Mouse: Logitech standard optical USB mouse
HDD: Western Digitial 465 GB

Anything else I forgot let me know.

And, btw, my keyboard doesn't lag, it ain't my system it's silly sync center doing something with my mouse.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB mouse problem in vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB mouse problem in vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
mobsync.exe
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 13, 2009 8:32 PM PDT

Not sure how this might affect a USB mouse, but mobsync.exe is a Vista service for removable mass storage devices, so there might be a connection.

More about mobsync.exe here;
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/228105-sync-center-disable-mobsync-exe.html

Scroll down the page to see how to change this service from automatic to manual. A reboot might be needed for the change to become effective.

See if that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks
by christo3d / October 14, 2009 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: mobsync.exe

Thanks for the reply. It didn't have any effect unfortunately, this is the second time I've tried that. I still get the frequent pausing. I'm not really sure what to say about it anymore, I mean, I've tried everything it seems.

Collapse -
bump
by christo3d / October 16, 2009 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Bump.

I really really need help with this.

Collapse -
Other sources that cause pause.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2009 6:42 AM PDT

Remember that any offline printer or file share tends to do this. This is why on my son's PC we drop the network connection to the printer.

HTH as someone wrote.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.