General discussion

USB mouse and keyboard stopped after installing a printer

I've just installed a HP Officejet 6500A printer to a USB connection to my HP 6730b laptop running Windows7 32 bit.
As soon as the installation software started I seemed to have lost connection to my USB mouse and keyboard.
I've gone in to Control panel and the keyboard appears under the hardware tab as working properly. The mouse is gone and only the synaptics touchpad shows.
Where do I go to start solving this??

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: USB mouse and keyboard stopped after installing a printer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: USB mouse and keyboard stopped after installing a printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I'm thinking hp.com

Do the chat support thing and if they can't resolve it in the time period that you have return rights, just return the product.
Bob

- Collapse -
nothing worked yet

so... I've been with HP chat for a few hours to no avail. We've tried rebooting, uninstalling USB root hub etc but no joy yet.

- Collapse -
Then it is incompatible with your system.

It could be a bug in their software but return it as defective.

CNET Forums