HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

USB microphone TOO MUCH GAIN

by RyanLunde / October 6, 2010 12:52 PM PDT

I seem to be the only person to have the exact opposite problem as most people with mic volume problems.
Mine is TOO LOUD. Ive tried everything.

I have a Samson go mic USB condenser mic. I use it to record singing.
Recently I have been getting a lot of distortion when I record, especially when I sing really loud.

I tried to turn the mic gain setting down in widows to prevent peaking but I still get distortion.

The mic gain lvl setting DOES WORK. it makes the input lvl of the mic higher or lower BUT all of a sudden it seems that it has lost the low range.

when I first got the mic I would slide the vertical lvl tab ALL THE WAY DOWN and then the mic would be "muted" like it is supposed to and not pick up anything. I sing very loud and would usually record at about 10-20% to keep from peaking and still being able to be close to the mic to pick up the full range of tones.

Now all of a sudden when I turn the mic gain slider all the way down THE MIC STILL WORKS! and at about 50%. it's like the slider went from controlling 0%-100% to 50%-100%. And even when I don't sing loud there is still distortion.

I thought that maybe the mic diaphragm was damaged (which would explain distortion at low volumes) but I don't understand why I am still getting about 50% signal with the windows mic gain slider ALL THE WAY DOWN. I think there may be something wrong with the internal electronics on the microphone itself that windows controls with the gain setting.

There is a pad switch on the mic, it works but still gets signal and distortion with the windows slider all the way down.
I tested multiple USB ports.
And I also tested my webcam mic. it works fine and like it is supposed it doesn't pick up any signal with the windows mic gain slider all the way down. But I plug back in my Samson and I get signal even with the gain slider is all the way down.

The input is set to the Samson go mic and the peak meter goes up and down relative to when i slide the gain up and down while humming a constant note so I know it's working. It just has lost it's low gain ability, is distorted all the time and still records at a high lvl when the mic slider is all the way down.

I uninstalled other programs that I thought might be conflicting with it. I unplugged my webcam to make sure It wasn't picking up audio signal. I did a system restore. nothing. I still get high gain input signal with the mic slider all the way down and extremly high gain when I slide it up. It was not like that before.

I reinstalled all drivers for the soundcard and mic

It does the same thing no matter what program I'm using to record whether it's the simple windows sound recorder, windows movie maker or cake walk or Reaper mixing program.

Sorry this post is so long but I'm trying to make sure I list everything I've tried.

It almost has to be faulty electronics in the mic.

Any body have any ideas? because I am going nuts.

Ryan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB microphone TOO MUCH GAIN
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB microphone TOO MUCH GAIN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I agree. Ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2010 1:04 PM PDT

1. Try putting a muffler on the mic.
2. Try other mics.

Collapse -
already tried
by RyanLunde / October 7, 2010 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree. Ideas.

Did and did.
My other mic works fine.

This mic use to work fine

There is something wrong with the gain level selector either in Windows or in the electronics of the mic itself that the windows gain slider controls that is keeping it from being able to be set at low gain. The biggest clue to anyone on how to fix this is that I still get signal with the gain slider all the way down, when that should turn off the mic completely.

Pretty sure the mic is junk but I'm hoping it's not.

Collapse -
"This mic use to work fine"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2010 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: already tried

Then it's time to try it on another PC. Also you have proved the mic has failed. I can only guess you need others to help you accept that.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm still in denial
by RyanLunde / October 7, 2010 2:39 AM PDT

It may be junk but I have hope

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.