Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

USB Mass Storage problem? Need help!

I'm currently running Windows XP pro, and for some reason
I can't connect anything to my USB port. When I hook up my digicam, an error message shows up in the device manager. "USB Mass Storage" pops up, and it says it's not installed. I tried installing it automatically, but windows can't find any drivers. I was running the same OS before, and never had this problem. Then I formateted my computer and installed Windows again, and this problem
came up. Any ideas how to fix it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB Mass Storage problem? Need help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB Mass Storage problem? Need help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: USB Mass Storage problem? Need help!

In reply to: USB Mass Storage problem? Need help!

This may be easy. Let's make a list.

1. A new install of XP will not have USB working on many machines. http://www.usbman.com notes this dure to missing USB motherboard drivers to simple BIOS settings.

2. Remember that some external USB drives don't work on USB 1.1

3. USB 2.0 doesn't work in XP. You need SP1.

4. Worth repeating. External drives that are in USB 2.0 cases don't always work on USB 1.1. This confound some unless they've seem it some dozen times.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: USB Mass Storage problem? Need help!

TdRipper,

The most common problem after a reinstall of Windows (read these forums!) is people forgetting to install a driver (for motherboard, modem, sound card, video card). Then we have "no sound at all", or "16 colors video", or "modem not found" or comparable problems. Seems like your situation is in this category.

Occasionally people even forget to find out what devices they should find drivers for. And, as you will understand, it gives some troubles to find drivers for something if you don't know what that something is. I hope you're not that unlucky.

So the questions are:
Did you install the USB-drivers? If the USB is on the motherboard, they should be part of the motherboard drivers (that came on CD with the motherboard). If the USB is a separate card, it might have come with drivers also.
And, of course, did you install the drivers for the Digicam?

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: USB Mass Storage problem? Need help!

Thanks guys, I fixed my USB woes Happy Just had to reinstall the digicam drivers. Works perfect.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.