HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

USB Issue

by murkeo / October 9, 2007 7:22 AM PDT

I have an hp pavilion zx5040us notebook running XP. I have several items that plug in with usb connections (I have three usb ports on notebook) - scanner, printer, mouse, portable external hard drive, etc. I have never had any problem with anything until I purchased a wireless mouse from Microsoft (5000) and attempted to install it - used the auto install selection on the CD and it "uninstalled" certain items to install itself, however the mouse would not work (was not recognized). I went on to the microsoft site and tried to install any updated drivers and still noting worked. I then used microsoft HELP and emailed them in detail about the problem. Two days later I received back a useless response (generic form response) and so I uninstalled the microsoft mouse and took it back to store. I exchanged it for a logitech wireless mouse and could not get that to install either. Now, my scanner, external hard drive, printer and flash drive that were installed before microsoft mouse fiasco work fine BUT I cannot get any other "plug and play" to be recognized and my computer won't recognize my previous "plug and play wired mouse". It seems that since nothing else changed, that microsoft unstalled something with the "uninstall" but I don't know what. I also don't know how to fix. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've used several wireless mice. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 9, 2007 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: USB Issue

and installed NOTHING on my IBM laptops.

I'd suggest a System Restore to get your other items back. Get the laptop running normally. Then plug in the wireless USB device (xmttr/rcvr) and let XP find it.

You should not need to install any drivers for a wireless mouse. I've used the Microsoft mouse, and even a cheapie GE model. And I have never had to install any software or drivers.

Wayne

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections,
Spyware removal, and download free software.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Collapse -
That's new to me.
by BrianZachary / October 9, 2007 3:20 PM PDT
In reply to: USB Issue

I have never heard of anything needing to be uninstalled in order to install something else. Some programs will require you to uninstall previous versions of that program before it will install the new version, but they have nothing to do with other programs needing uninstalled.

Like coryphaeus said, you shouldn't have to install any software, drivers or anything else when you plug in any USB hardware or device, especially if you are running Windows XP. XP automatically detects anything you plug in and will bring up the Add New Hardware Wizard to install any drivers necessary.

If the device came with a disk, it is only for the rare purpose of installing drivers or software that is needed and cannot be found by the Add New Hardware Wizard.

You should do what was suggested and System Restore back to before you tried installing that first mouse from Microsoft.

Oh and the useless generic response from Microsoft is nothing new. That's how they respond to any question or concern submitted to them and if you think that's bad, you should try complaining to Yahoo about something...LOL

Collapse -
A Wrinkle to USB problem
by murkeo / October 10, 2007 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: That's new to me.

I took a look at system restore and my restore calendar goes back to September and the mouse issue happened two weeks before the last restore date (was not aware of this "restore" as have never had a problem in the past three years with my notebook also I left this alone for a few weeks as I was so frustrated). So it appears that the easy, quick fix won't work for me - is there anything else you would suggest? I should have gone on this site originally for help - hindsight!!

On a related issue, I have been planning on getting a new notebook,and this headache confirms it. How would I tranfer everything if I can't use one of those usb to usb switch programs?

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Alternatives to transferring other than USB.
by BrianZachary / October 10, 2007 8:44 AM PDT

murkeo:
"I have been planning on getting a new notebook. How would I tranfer everything if I can't use one of those usb to usb switch programs?"

I recently had to move some files from one computer to another, mostly my music files. I started by using a USB Flash Drive, but it was taking too long and you aren't able to do that anyway. There are three ways I can tell you, each of which require internet connection for both computers, but not necessarily at the same time.

1) Get yourself an online storage account. I tried this and the site I used didn't seem to work right and I gave up trying after an hour or so.

2) Register for a free homepage account. Depending on which homepage provider you choose, you can be limited to how large files can be or how much space they give you to upload onto their servers. You would at least be able to save some files and be able to retrieve them whenever you want.

3) This is the way I finally did it, but it requires both computers to be connected at the same time. I used Yahoo Instant Messenger to transfer all my files from one computer to the other. It was faster than using the Flash Drive and everything went over with no problem. It did take some files longer if they were larger than others, but when everything was done, I had all my files on the computer I wanted them on. If you have any instant messenger programs, you should be able to use it to transer files with no problem. You will have to use someone else's account or make up a new one to be signed in on both computers at the same time on the same program.

It's up to you which way you want to go, but the instant messenger way was the easiest and fastest for me. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Alternatives
by murkeo / October 10, 2007 9:02 AM PDT

Thanks for the info - quick query - by "files" you mean the data and I would just what?? make a copy?? This will not work for programs - yes or no? I would need the registration key for every program I have downloaded and the CDs for other programs?? Since I have never had to do this, I am unfamiliar with process - how it is done. thanks.

Additionally, I have always backed up on my maxtor external drive - I am assuming again (since I had it back up entire C drive) is this data and programs or just data? Could I copy from the backup to a new computer?

Collapse -
Re: Alternatives
by BrianZachary / October 10, 2007 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Alternatives

I have never used an external hard drive so I don't know exactly how they work, but I would guess that if you backed up everything on your C Drive there, your files should be there and it may just be a matter of plugging it into your new computer, locating your files and moving them. Someone who has experience with them should be able to help you with that. I would try using the external hard drive first since you have one.

Here I am going to explain (just in case) how transferring works using an instant messenger, Yahoo in particular since I am familiar with it. You have Yahoo Instant Messenger installed on both computers and you sign into both of them, each one with a different account. You add the account of one to the one on the other computer and add that account to the one on the first computer.

Open a chat window in the first computer, the one with the files you want to transfer, to the other account. If you enter text, it will open a chat window on the other computer and it will be like you are talking to yourself.

Now you are ready to start transferring files to the new computer. There are 2 ways to do this.

1) You can click on the Send File button at the top of the chat window and search for a file you want to transfer. You have to accept the transfer on the other computer to allow the transfer to continue. This is one way to do it but it does take awhile if you have a lot of files.

2) The easiest way is to open a folder that has files you want to transfer, highlight all the files in that folder you want to transfer and drag them into the chat window. The chat window will have a list of all the files you dragged into it and you have to accept each one in the other computer, but you can move more than one file at a time this way. Be careful how many you do at one time. I had to limit mine to moving maybe 50 at the most if I had more than that in one folder.

When you transfer files, you are just copying, they don't actually get moved from one computer to another, so you might have to keep track of what has been transferred and what hasn't. I would delete files that have been transferred so that I wouldn't get confused and end up transferring the same file more than once.

This will work for any data, music, video, or whatever files you have. The bigger the file, the longer it will take to transfer. For programs, I wouldn't worry about trying to transfer those because you can always download and install them on the new computer. If you have registry keys for any of them, find out what they are and write them down. Then you will have them when you reinstall the program on the new computer.

I hope this helps you understand this process better.

Collapse -
Thanks
by murkeo / October 11, 2007 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Alternatives

thanks so much for such a clear explanation - this will be a big help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.