TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

USB HDD problem with Panasonic VT20 series

by Nozzzzzz / November 2, 2010 8:16 AM PDT

Hi, I just bought a panasonic 65 inch VT20 series. We also have an LED Samsung Tv already and the Samsung is a brilliant Tv. Samsung plays all the movie files (in avi. format) in my 1TB USB HD with no problem which is connected via USB to the Tv.

The problem is, the Panasonic doesn't. I am very very very disappointed with this because prior to purchasing this tv, i did some research and even on Panasonic website it says USB playback allowed on both USB HDD and USB flash drive.What it DOES NOT say is USB HDD is only allowed playback when recording live tv only and only when the recording is done by the one an only Panasonic Tv that's attached to the USB HDD. Once the USB HDD has been attached and formated by the Tv (it is the only option allowed by this panasonic Tv)..the USB HDD is no longer able to be run on pc or any other tv. It will no longer play any avi files in the HDD since it deletes all of the file when reformating. (I feel I have been lied to, to be honest)

Can someone give any suggestions on how can i play movies thats stored in my USB HDD 1 TB in my new+useless Panasonic TV like i am able to play in my Samsung TV?

I'm thinking, media player ? Ps3? attached via hdmi? will it work? ....I have tried storing it in my existing Network Media Storage and access it via dnla (the panasonic is dnla capable) but it keeps dropping out (the samsung tv can stream fine via dnla with no interruptions.)

The biggest reason i bought the Panasonic was because i thought it is able to play my USB HDD movies via the USB attachment on the tv (like my beautiful samsung Tv). You dont find this out until you read the manual...by then it is too late !. It is my biggest and expensive REGRET buy in my entire life.

Helppppp....someone ?? ;-(

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB HDD problem with Panasonic VT20 series
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB HDD problem with Panasonic VT20 series
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Perils of the new market place.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2010 8:35 AM PDT

As we asked for lower prices we see that the sales folk are merely dispensing agents. You say you want that box they go get it. All the information is now pushed on us to dig out.

Ok, did this model have any DLNA feature? That would open the door to other players.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes the new tv has dnla
by Nozzzzzz / November 2, 2010 5:31 PM PDT

yes both the panasonic and samsung has dnla capability. unfortunately the panasonic keeps dropping out of the server and when it does read it, some function is not allowed i.e fast forward/ rewind.
Its ok now though. I ended up getting media-player and it all works now with the panasonic. Thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -
A very good media player cost less than $100.
by ahtoi / November 2, 2010 9:40 AM PDT

But hows the picture quality of the vt20 and how much? Just curious.

Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestion :-)
by Nozzzzzz / November 2, 2010 5:41 PM PDT

Hi Ahtoi, Got myself a cheap (and good) media player and it all works like a charm. Happy now.
I must say the picture quality on the vt20 plasma is just the same with the Samsung LED. The only difference that I can see is that the quality seems to be a little bit off/ bland on the plasma when it is bright in the room (ie during the day) as appose to the Samsung giving consistent quality picture when it is bright or dark.
The Vt20 65 inch plasma was AUD$4600 with 5 year warranty included.

Collapse -
Picture quality
by Nozzzzzz / November 2, 2010 5:44 PM PDT

Oh and i forgot to mention, both gives rich and defined picture quality. But if you ask me which one i would really prefer watching, I would say the Samsung LED but at 65 inch which they don't make.

Collapse -
Glare has always been plasma tv's downside, but...
by ahtoi / November 3, 2010 1:24 AM PDT

they improved on that with the G-series and my understanding is that the VT-series should have been a lot better (but maybe not).

Collapse -
panasonic plasma v20
by patriciojorge / January 14, 2011 10:50 AM PST

Hi;
We have the same problem with our brand new panasonic v20 50";I tried to overcome the problem by connecting the USB HDD to the sony blu ray player but still doesn't work ,it came up with doesnt support this device.
Can you tell me which media player are you using?
Like you I feel victim of misleading advertising.
Cheers.

Collapse -
Hi Patriciojorge
by Nozzzzzz / January 19, 2011 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: panasonic plasma v20

I completely understand how u feel. I bought a basic cheap WD media player which connects via HDMI to the tv and has 2 USB port that can read both HDD simultaneously (one is 1.5 TB and the other is 2TB). The latest version has Internet/ network capability, but mine is the older version.
If you have PSP , that should work too.
Let me know how u go.
good luck

Collapse -
USB HDD problem with Panasonic VT20 series
by deztroyer / January 29, 2011 5:44 PM PST

The reason that VT20 cannot see the USB HDD, could be because of the file system... I think the VT20 cannot recognize our beloved NTFS file system, I'd suggest reformatting the USB HDD to exFAT, and then copying over all the media content to it. This should work...

Or you could do what I do and just use the VT20 as a giant computer monitor, that way you have access to everything Happy

Collapse -
Agreed, using as monitor can be easier (Cool thread on HTPCs
by Pepe7 / January 30, 2011 1:23 AM PST
Collapse -
USB Hdd can be used after attaching to TV
by chucky_00 / February 21, 2011 7:49 AM PST

I had the Same problem USB Hdd not recognised by PC/Windows 7. I tried and plugged the usb Hdd in to my Macbook, and it recognised it!!!!!
Using the Disk Utility I erased the Panasonic Partition and reformated. Works Like a Charm. Perhaps Linux OS would do the same.

From " Once the USB HDD has been attached and formated by the Tv (it is the only option allowed by this panasonic Tv)..the USB HDD is no longer able to be run on pc or any other tv."

I

Collapse -
Panasonic VT20 HDD Problem.
by atomman1 / June 3, 2012 7:31 PM PDT

Just one way to get around this problem >>>(N.A.S) i faced the same problem! why would they do this? i guess there can be only one answer, the were waiting/saving the upgrade for the TV30, you see most large companies have a long list of new ideas waiting to put into there next model. Panasonic most of been scraping the bottom of there tank of ideas. I use a LaCie space2 1tb network storage device, formatted to Fat32, this stems beautifully, i convert all my video files into mkv using Handbrake on Mac os, but will work just as well on Windows. I know this is a late answer to your problem but it is a answer that may help somebody else!!

Collapse -
Think about it a little more
by Pepe7 / June 4, 2012 1:35 AM PDT

There are some limits to what these HDTVs (even the latest ones, given this thread is old) will support since they aren't running full fledged operating systems and do not have the same horsepower as even a low end three year old laptop.

Another issue is knowledge of different file formats. Most end users don't understand that MP4 might work better than DIVX or MKV on a particular HDTV, let alone know the best way to convert would be. Luckily, the same complex files play back wonderfully if you learn how to utilize the HDTV as a monitor where it really shines.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?