General discussion

USB HD won't start (device cannot start, Code 10)

Hi all,
I have a Western Digital 120GB USB HD that I use as a data drive (music, pics, archives, that kinda stuff). I've had the drive for a few years and all was fine. Recently, I noticed that there was only 1 file visible on the drive but the disk space (free/used) was still reporting it as it should have been with all my files present. I attempted to virus scan and no virus. Attempted to delete and was told not allowed or something. I went to DOS and attempted to delete that way and was told something like unable-directory structure tree to deep. Now, after attempting to reinstall the drive, I get the Device cannot start (code 10) error.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: USB HD won't start (device cannot start, Code 10)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: USB HD won't start (device cannot start, Code 10)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Check into...

Here's the link for MS error code description:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125174

I'm pretty sure when you tried various methods to clear the HD, you generated a problem. If you have s/w from WD, use it to correct or prepare the ext. HD again. If push comes to shove, remove the HD itself from small case and try seeing as an int. HD via the system. If it does see it then, you have to format, etc. to prepare the HD and then return to case. However, if you have any warranty, use it as an option. Now, these ext. HDs do fail either the HD has or the interface card(guts of case) has failed. Heat is a problem for any HD, but ext. HDs if no fan setup will die sooner or later due to this. Did you try this ext. HD on another system? Did you visit the WD support website for hints/tips/clues to repair its problem? get any "LifeGuard" or similar test/diag s/w to help resolve problem from WD?

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
no luck with lifeguard

I attempted to connect via USB to an old computer and same issue. I also attempted to remove the drive from its case and connect as an internal on the same old computer and no luck. I don't really want to open my new computer and screw my warranty. I tried WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and Data Lifeguard tools. Neither program would even recognize the drive. Maybe this will help, I also noticed that the drive is a WD 1200 but XP detects it as a WD 1600. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the 2 is the storage space (1200 is 120gig while 1600 is 160gig) but could that be causing the issue?

- Collapse -
2nd round...

Be sure under the master/slave setup or CS setup that the HD is properly acknowledged during boot-up, thus cables and./or jumpered as such. That will tell the h/w side of things at least the electronics. To properly ID the HD, it will have a sticker/decal on the HD itself, take it from there. If the system sees something else, that's an issue, or it trying to pin-point as best it can, but still is a problem or the beginning of the problem. if you have problems still then it pretty much suggests that the HD(mounted internal) is hosed. The LifeGuard s/w/diags can do a non-destructive test, if it can't do that then the HD is hosed. Otherwise, try to format and it fails then, its a bad HD. IMHO, ext. HDs tend to last less than thier int. counterparts, so understand that.

tada -----Willy Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info