Storage forum

General discussion

usb harddrive question

Is it possible to use my WD USB harddrive with both my desktop and my laptop? My objective is to have a hard drive that has info that is never available when I use the internet. It seems to me that I have heard that there is a way to make the computer think that each drive is the main drive when you are using it???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: usb harddrive question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: usb harddrive question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: usb harddrive question

In reply to: usb harddrive question

Yes, but explain...

"It seems to me that I have heard that there is a way to make the computer think that each drive is the main drive when you are using it???"

USB drives are not usually bootable and "main drive" as some would write. A longer explanation of your goal is needed.

bob

Collapse -
Re: usb harddrive question

In reply to: Re: usb harddrive question

I would assume that one of my hard drives has to be the master. What i want to do is to be able to plug the usb drive into either computer and run it as the master drive separate and apart from the master internal drive. Some one had once told me that there is a way that you can set up 2 drives so that which ever one you are using is considered the master drive
and neither drive would be affected by the other. Does this make sense?

Collapse -
Not yet.

In reply to: Re: usb harddrive question

An external USB drive would get a drive letter. You could store files and such on it.

The term "master" doesn't apply here.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Not yet.

In reply to: Not yet.

so could you load the operating system on it anduse it a a regular harddrive or is it limited to being a storage drive?Can I load certain programs such as word or Dragon naturally speaking and NOT have these programs available on the internal drive?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Not yet.

I've installed major programs on separate hard drives and it works, but the boot drive keeps track of where it is. When it boots up it may give out a 'can't find' message if the USB drive isn't connected.

John

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Not yet.

"so could you load the operating system on it anduse it a a regular harddrive"

Only if the machine supported it as a bootable drive. But Windows doesn't install to such. I'll note a fix for this in a moment.

" or is it limited to being a storage drive?Can I load certain programs such as word or Dragon naturally speaking and NOT have these programs available on the internal drive?"

Yes. And yes, you can install programs to it.

--------------

A fix. Forget the USB drive and look into an SATA PCI card and an external SATA drive/case. This combo can get you a driveless PC that you plug in your drive/OS of choice.

BEWARE that with Windows XP you may incur the wrath of product activation and need another license. I will note this, but can not confirm this will happen to you. Just be ready to shell out a few more dollars for the priviledges.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.