PC Hardware forum

General discussion

USB Hard drive semi-invisible

I am running XP Pro sp2. I have tried to install an external usb drive. The system seems to install it fine, the Device Manager sees it and says that it is working. It shows up when I click "Safely Remove Hardware". When I try to use it or find it in Windows Explorer or "Administrative Tools" it isn't there. I also tried to find it with "Partition Magic" 8.0, no luck.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB Hard drive semi-invisible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB Hard drive semi-invisible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Such drove a Cnet forum member nuts. Here's why.

In reply to: USB Hard drive semi-invisible

They had connected the drive to USB 1.1 ports and the USB case only worked fully on USB 2.0 ports.

Another forum member had moved a drive with data into the USB case and the contents vanished. Put it back in a PC and there it was again. Lesson? You must prepare said drive in the USB case. Use the DISK MANAGEMENT TOOL.

Bob

Collapse -
Twice Over

In reply to: Such drove a Cnet forum member nuts. Here's why.

If, by "DISK MANAGEMENT TOOL.", you mean the one available through "ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS" in XP; then been there done that. It doesn't see it. I do have a USB 2 device and I do receive a message that it will work better in a faster port. Where thet at????? I have 2 ports on the front and 4 on the back, I've tried other devices in all of them and get the same message for everthing.
Could it be some weird thing with a driver?
One possible option would be if I could get the pci device to work right, I have one that gives me a front panel with 5 USB and 3 firewire ports. I cannot get it to work since I had to reinstall XP, XP installed drivers and it won't update to the OEM drivers.

Collapse -
Yes, taht's the right tool. More...

In reply to: Twice Over

"I do have a USB 2 device and I do receive a message that it will work better in a faster port. Where thet at????? I have 2 ports on the front and 4 on the back, I've tried other devices in all of them and get the same message for everthing.
Could it be some weird thing with a driver?
One possible option would be if I could get the pci device to work right, I have one that gives me a front panel with 5 USB and 3 firewire ports. I cannot get it to work since I had to reinstall XP, XP installed drivers and it won't update to the OEM drivers."

I see you tried all the ports, but as I read the last sentance it becomes clear to me the person who installed the OS is relying on Microsoft to update the drivers. This will never happen. You or that person need to find the USB 2.0 (and motherboard) support package for your system and install it.

YOU'VE FOUND THE CAUSE OF THIS ISSUE!

More at http://usbman.com/USB%202%20News.htm

I'd give up a link to your motherboard driver package but I missed it if you posted the required information.

Bob

Collapse -
OK, now what

In reply to: Yes, taht's the right tool. More...

According to the link I HAVE USB 2 (STandard Enhanced)
Now what?

Collapse -
MORE

In reply to: OK, now what

Device manager shows "USBTOR\DISK&VEN_\100&0" as the device instance ID. Any help?

Collapse -
Not a clue yet. Here' s why.

In reply to: MORE

To find the motherboard driver package for your machine, I'd have to find the make/model of the PC or if it's some custom job, the make/model of the motherboard.

I re-read the entire thread and you never revealed such.

Looks like who installed this OS didn't finish it proper for you.

Bob

Collapse -
HECK

In reply to: Not a clue yet. Here' s why.

K7VM2 2.00
BIOS American Megatrends Inc. P1.30 12/13/2002
I can send you the compleate list from Belarc if you give me an email, it's a bit large to post

Collapse -
Try the Via4in1 driver at ...http://www.asrock.com/support/D

In reply to: HECK

Collapse -
Tried it

In reply to: Try the Via4in1 driver at ...http://www.asrock.com/support/D

I downloaded the 4in1, usb, and video drivers. I have installed from their cd and the downloads. same thing. I built this animal and it DID work fine, it's just with the reinstall of XP it messed up.
I do have an error with the "NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller" I tried the NEC site and they aim me at Microsoft, no help there.
As I said I do have a pci device with 5 USB 2 ports and three firewire ports; it doesn't work either. The model is F 2007 made by Koutech.com.

Collapse -
ASUS A7N8X-E

In reply to: Try the Via4in1 driver at ...http://www.asrock.com/support/D

Would it not be better if I just change to another mainboard? That would get me different drivers and so on.
I'm looking at the ASUS

Collapse -
One thing.

In reply to: ASUS A7N8X-E

I don't see you write about using the USBMAN forum and site. I don't duplicate content (my choice) and your answer might have been there.

With such support for the Asrock, I'd change.

Bob

Collapse -
hard drive

In reply to: USB Hard drive semi-invisible

I have been trying to install a second Western Digital external hard drive in XP home edition and had the same problem. I finally got it to recognize it by changing the drive letter to a letter before the first drives letter. Then I turned off both drives uninstalled the software,rebooted, reinstalled software, rebooted turned on the drives and my computer recognized it finally. To do this right click on my computer,right click on manage,right click on disk management, expand page so you can see everything and right click on the drive you want to change letter.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!